How long is your con rod?

Now for something completely different -

Roy and I took a trip today to experience some 1500+BHP engines.... of the steam variety. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif (hence the very long rods!)

We travelled on the Watercress Line between Alton and Ropley engine sheds, where we were treated to a personal guided tour of the sheds. Superb! - (thanks Dave.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif)

The day was a 'Wartime' special and everywhere we looked, there were people in period costume, Allied forces in uniform, very atmospheric (and just as Roy remembered it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif)

Attachments

• 59536-trainmix.JPG
    59536-trainmix.JPG
    144.4 KB · Views: 230

Ron Earp

Admin
Paul, that is awesome! You fellows are so lucky to have so much within, say, 6 hours driving distance. And to think - I've actually spoken to Brit car nuts that have not gone to things like the Goodwood Revival etc - shame on them! If I had all the stuff you fellows did I've have no time for working on stuff, I'd be too busy looking!

Best Regards to both of you,
Ron

Hi Ron
'The grass always seems greener on the other side' - lest you forget, you have:
Indianapolis - Laguna Seca - Watkins Glen + probably a thousand more I would'nt know about.

Drag Racing (I mean REAL Drag Racing - with more entries than we'd ever achieve over here)

Jet boats - (hydroplanes) - Outlaw racing - pylon racing (with true warbirds)

Monster trucks - Tracked Monster trucks - Bonneville Salt Flats...

Cheap fuel

Hell, if I lived over there I would'nt have time to work! - I'd be spending all my time spectating... or better still, having a go /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif (I wish!)

Anyway, see ya soon! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Ron Earp

Admin
Well, yes, you are right. BUT - the distance!!!! We've got real drag racing every Thusday-Sun where I live - serious contenders for NHRA stuff only 45 minutes away, with honest 10.XX cars just driving around McDonalds in Rockingham on a weekend night - yep those are streetcars. No sh*&!

But, that other stuff, well, it is a long ways from me. Reno is 2000 miles away and in the same country, Salt flats about the same. Jet boats can be close at Oak Hollow, about 1 hour from me, (my grandfather used to build drag boat motors back in the day), but as you know the US is big.

Lots of tracks over here though and I am getting time on them when I can, in fact, hope to have a little time on yours here soon!!

Maybe one of these days we need to organize a "racer exchange trip" where we can each attend an event overseas with a group of GT40 nuts. The Watkins Glen thing would have been perfect this year so we might need to be on the lookout for such things in the future. I think it'd be a load of fun and we'd be putting the forum to good use, bringing people together.

Back