Fuel tank sender sealant ?

I'm just about to fit my senders into my fuel tanks and I have cork gaskets that came with them but should I be putting on some sealant also. If so what sealant do I need, instant gasket / silicone ?????

Sandy

Gulf GT40
Lifetime Supporter
Silicone's generally are NOT good with gasoline. Their is a good sealant called HYLOMAR that is, not sure if appropriate for your application, but I use it for intake manifold gaskets and it is very nice. A bit more expensive, but easy clean up and not a pain in the ass like some of the others. Also I have some from permatex (Aircraft style) that is gasoline resistant, but I like the Hylomar better. Might be called something else but available under the permatex brand as well.

Sandy

Hylomar is available in the uk too. Good for engine gaskets but not sure its right for a fuel tank...

I preference would also be to go with a butyl gasket, if you can get hold of the stuff. Maybe Roy Snook or Frank Catt have a source ??

Sandy

Gulf GT40
Lifetime Supporter
Hylomar is 'Fuel Proof' as they say and is highly resistant to most chemicals, so I would expect a-o-k for fuel sensor gaskets. It is good stuff!

The funny thing is on the old 65 mustang, pulled the sender out of the original tank and the original cork (rubber impregnated) gasket was in fine shape after close to 40 years... Yes I would have replaced it if I kept the sketchy stock tank /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Not that I think of it both the ATL and FuelSafe cells I have just have a cork gasket on the fuel level sensor, but I didn't install so I can't say what they used for gasket sealer if any.

Paul I used rubber sheet from Woolies (that is Woolies on 01778 347347 - not Woolworths!). Not sure it is butyl but it has been fine for several years now.

I tried to be clever and fit some tank breathers at the back because of hot air pressure that does build if the car is facing downhill on a hot day. I was not the first to have fuel forcing its way out of the fuel fillers. These leaked on every acceleration. I put some vent tubes on them and now all is fine.

Peter Delaney

GT40s Supporter
Paul, you might like to look at Loctite 567 (a white thread/flange sealant). I have used this throughout the car for fuel & water sealing, and have not had a single problem.

However, if you decide to change to rubber gaskets, be careful ! I have VDO senders that came with rubber gaskets, & I wacked on Loctite 515 (a metal flange sealant) only to discover that it provided a nice lubricant for the rubber gasket - as I tightened down the sender flanges, the rubber gasket simply squeezed out the sides - about 1/4" all round !. This lead to leaks, so I took them all apart, cleaned everything & refitted them with no sealant (as per VDO recommendations) - no leaks now. Trust me to fit first & ask questions later !!

Kind Regards,

Peter D.

I have used Hylomar on homebuilt aircraft fuel tanks. Still no leaks after several years of exposure to Avgas. If making your own gasket, I would suggest Neoprene sheet.

Sandy

Gulf GT40
Lifetime Supporter
Yes hylomar is an excellent product. An interesting thing about fuel cell gaskets while check out HRP Racing catalog was that most of the replacement ones were the cork/rubber impregnated ones. Nothing very high tech at all.

[ QUOTE ]
Loctite 567

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks Peter, good to hear someone has had good success with this. I've noted this as I'm sure I'll need it as I progress through the rebuild. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Ron,

Pleased you've read my site, unfortunately since I took over the GT40 enthusiasts site I haven't found time to keep my own up to date.

Haven't had my motor on a dyno but its essentially a standard Edelbrock package. It would be interesting to put it on a rolling road sometime though.

Thanks guys - some good info.
I emailed ATL fuel cells in the UK and they said just use cork gaskets for their tanks.

Back