GTD for sale in Australia

Malcolm

Supporter
I am not aware that any chassis number had the last three digits of "500". Especially a car made in 1984. However chassis numbers are just numbers and I know of some that are not factory chassis number carrying cars now but are still GTDs.

Very early cars, and 1984 is early for GTD, the rear sway bar went over the top of the gearbox and the car had twin hand brake cables. It may also have drum rear brakes as standard, or just maybe solid rear discs with calipers slung underneath.

Malcolm

Supporter
I have now seen the pictures which I didn't spot before my last post.

That ain't no GTD I would recognise. I won't even start to list the items which do not match standard GTD items. Inside, outside, chassis, front, rear, all non GTD points.

Bid for the car but I would not say that is a GTD as I would expect one to be of that vintage. It still may be a fine car but you need to judge that on its own merits.

I agree with Malcolm. It might be a fine car, but for me not a GTD. Take a look at the front suspension arms. These are closer to a Tornado or KVA. Also the way the back chassis is looks similar to a KVA the way it cuts back towards the shocks, but the trailing arms arms to inboard for a standard KVA and more in line with a Tornado. The rear uprights seem close to what Paul Walton has on his (see his build thread middle of page 2). Just my 02p

Brett

Tim Kay

Lifetime Supporter
As much different from a Tornado as a GTD /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

The car was purchased a couple of years ago by Gordy Good from Michigan,
He purchased it through someone in one of the GT40 clubs in the UK that was acting to help the widow of the former owner sell the car.
The car had been sitting for quite a while and needed some work..
Gordy had the car for a little while and attempted to sell it through an RM Auction here in Michigan.
Prior to this he had repainted and repanelled the car....nothing major just a clean up and refresh..

It was bought by a car dealer in Holland ,Michigan who had it up for sale for a while for close to 80k USD...

The car is a KVA mods carried out by Mr. Good .It was a fairly standard car with bushings and Granada brakes etc etc etc .....still has some things that I remember needing to be sorted out..shifter etc etc etc
Not a bad car but not as nice or affordable as a new monocoque RCR40(had to get a free plug in somewhere /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif)

I dont know how or when it sailed to Oz...

Hope this helps....

Had a quick search of Aus Car Sale sites and haven't been able to find this GTD. Thought we might be able to find out the rough price he wants for it. Has anyone else had any luck?

My only advice to anyone looking at buying it as a street car...look closely into registration requirements. Easiest part is obtaining an engineers report...actually getting it registered is the trick. It may not be considered as an 1984 build date. And if it's anything like what we had to go through to get our last Cobra approved...you won't really know what's required until you have done it, as the rules seem to up to the descretion of the employees doing the inspections and tests...

Peter Delaney

GT40s Supporter
Straight-through pipes, carburettor - I can hear the NSW RTA bureaucrats mixing up huge vats of red ink already !!!!

Kind Regards,

Peter D.

Back