Rear View Camera??

I have decided to add a roll bar mounted screen and rear view camera. I have selected the screen and am looking for a suitable camera. Anyone have something they think works great. I would wonder what viewing angle would be appropriate. Also I would think that water resistant or water proof is important. Through hole mounting might be the best. What about heat resistance of the camera?

Gary,
I put "rear view camera" in google and got 200,000 responses. There is every thing out there you could ever want, even underwater setups. Take a look at this sample page.
Here
You will even find a Sony or Pioneer flip up or flip down model or the like at Best Buys, or any of the electronics outlets(of course it doesn't include the camera,just imputs). Saw one in the Sunday circulars for around $600. But there are units with the camera for as low as $399. Some of the camera and monitors are bulky(for big rigs). Some include bullet cameras. There was a post here a while back about a system that would use suction cups to stick the camera to the side of the car or where ever for Hollywood type views. I think I saved that thread. If I can find it this afternoon, I will post it.

Bill

I actually ordered the monitor portion yesterday. I am going with a 7" TFT LCD with a 16:9 ratio. It has 2 video inputs and a video flip (required in the monitor or camera).

The camera is now what I want to buy and was wondering if anyone found one they were happy with. I am looking for something like this one. which can be mounted flush in a panel or using the flexible mount. Having not done this I was wondering what viewing angle compromise minght be best, etc.

Gary, try sending a PM to Strike2 - he has installed a rear view camera in his new Ford GT and seemed to like it when I talked to him.

I ended up buying this one. I have not received it yet nor do I know how well it will do. We will see. I am considering the previously posted camera, but would like to try before buying /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

shameless plug...

we make a setup - low light camera with LCD monitor - very robust. Actually, we developed it for aircraft and the monitor is flying in commercial aircraft cockpits and in seats on some of your familiar airlines...we have a version for general aviation that is going to be sold under the FLYCAM product name through www.aircraftspruce.com. They have a webpage on it and it should be in their next catalog. Priced for aircraft though....about $795 for camera, monitor switch and cabling....I think.

Mike

You mean like this (find the camera, not too hard)

Attachments

• 60427-P1010392-2.JPG
    60427-P1010392-2.JPG
    67.9 KB · Views: 302
And the Monitor, (3.5", reversable), mounted on suction cup to windsheild. This setup was accomplished without drilling or cutting anything. Field of view being critical, this camera has 90d both vertically and horizontally. I tried a few and found too much and objects enter too quickly, too little and blind spots develop.

Attachments

• 60428-P1010393-2.JPG
    60428-P1010393-2.JPG
    78.9 KB · Views: 316
Gary, camera and electronics w/ cabling is $225 shipping included, email me and we'll arrange to get you one, real simple to set up, 12v +, ground, and video out to monitor. Thats it. Hows that for a shamless plug /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

I noticed that you chose a 7" universal monitor, which may not do what you want it to, a 16:9 ratio is only good for 16: material such as anamorphic DVD, cameras of course are 4:3, you'll either stretch the image out (distorting it and losing resolution) or have bars along the sides, giving you a 4:3 monitor after all. I noted that it does indeed reverse which is needed, thats good, i thinkk you'll find as I did that mounting options are limited in the GT, especially if you object to cutting into anyhing, a 7" monitor is quite large when looking for a suitable spot, that same site has a 3.5" 4:3 reverse monitor which you might take a look at (its a bit less expensive than the one we deal with, though not as flexible). Feel free to contact me with any questiona, as I deal with A/V equipment every day.

Just for interest sake, I am currently looking into a GPS system that will allow me to use a single monitor together with my camera system using a pressure switch to toggle between the two, wouldn't that be cool. The whole GPS system will need to mount in that small void behind the seat (GTD) and the antenna somewhere inconspicuous on the car (I havent got that far yet).

Tim Kay

Lifetime Supporter
[ QUOTE ]
too much and objects enter too quickly, too little and blind spots develop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Chris,

So at 90 deg your camera view captures cars right off your rear corner, both sides?

If possible, could you take a photo to post here with the screen showing a car in such a position?

In addition, would that particular screen be able to accept two camera inputs that could be toggled from one to the other? In which case you could have a camera mounted at each side mirror position /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif Or do you feel the rear\center camera is sufficient enough that it picks up just about the same as a side mirror?

Tim, I'll try to answer your questions the best I can. With a camera with a FOV (Field of view) of say 135d (common to many rear view cameras, objects (mainly other cars) appear so quickly that it rarely gives you the reaction time you need, lets realize one thing most rearview setups are intended for backing up with a boat or trailer, or to help out in parking situations, not at speed to make lane changes, merging, etc. Especially here in the States, driving a RHD car, with no rear visibility in traffic the camera is almost a must (combined with the side mirrors) I find that when another car is completely framed in the monitor I can change lanes in front of him, if not, I dont, seems like a simple formula for me.

Your question of multiple cameras seems feesible with perhaps the issue of where to mount them and not disturb the appearance to the car, the multiple imputs are not a problem when using a video switcher, most of these are geared toward a back up camera, and a GPS system, so when you engage reverse the circuit to your reverse lights provides the power to kick in the second source (the camera). By using a pressure switch you could put right where you wanted it and it woulld be a manual action.

The question of one or multiple cameras seems to be best answered by envisioning a 90d cone with the camera at the small end if you will, now drawing out from your camera position to see what your coverege will be, if a car is at your right or left rear corner you will probable see its back end and if following the rule of having it fully framed, you would stay put either letting it by or speeding up, framing it, and changing the lane. For me this is sufficent, I for one wouldn't want to paste cameras all over my car, that suction cup thing while probably great for the occational track event is meant as a temperary mount, we are looking to permanantly install ours.

The truth of the matter is that the monitor is the weakest link here, the camera is capable of much better resolution than the monitor is, with a total vertical res of 234 pixels, thats less than the NTSC standard (which is not the greatest to begin with), so you can see having a 16:9 monitor with this 234 pixel vertical count is far less desirable than a 4:3 monitor of the same. LCD also ads inherant problems, one is substandard off axis viewing, two is motion artifacts and three the lack of contrast (or the ability to make black) as well as the wash out factor, even though most are coated for anti-glare, just try to see it with sunlight on it, it will totally wash out, so position of the monitor becomes crucial. Lets face it the monitors we see in these applicationa are neat and small, but are also at the absolute bottom of the food chain as far as video displays are concerned (mostly made in China) their real market is for the bling, bling muliple DVD display/car dwelling video game, spinny wheel Hummer crowd where they sell real well. That is not my thing and thank goodness I dont have to deal with that.
In conclusion, we can adapt these little camera/monitor combinations to suit our needs for a safer ride if we pick the correct camera, monitor, mounting system as well as placement of the components for a usefull and cool addition. Hope this was helpful and answered your questions.

Chris

Tim Kay

Lifetime Supporter
Chris,

Thanks and well explained /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

[ QUOTE ]
......I for one wouldn't want to paste cameras all over my car,

[/ QUOTE ]
I agree, heck I can't even bring myself to mount side mirrors yet /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif I use a simple convex mirror in the inside window sill. Works but not real safe /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Hi Tim, Maybe this will help i picked up a camera from Jcar Australia when i was over there,it is already reversed 92 deg measures 56mm long x 24mm dia can be hooked up to most av inputs on the incar dvd players, part number was qc3452 comes in pal NTSC etc about $140 aust, not sure if you have Jcar over your way worth a try. Regards GraemeS

Attachments

• 60843-IMG_5951.JPG
    60843-IMG_5951.JPG
    39.6 KB · Views: 288
Bill, you can use any 10" screen as long as it has the capability to reverse, I also prefer an on/off switch (instead of powering through the ignition) as the event of the starter can sometimes cause a low voltage situation not really great for A/V equipment, the ability to flip the display vertically also gives more flexibility (upside down, etc.) letting you set the camera in places that may otherwise not lend itself to the application.

10" is quite a, no a real large display and especially a 4:3 will find it hard to place, perhaps since you are custom making your car from the ground up this wont be such an issue, but for my car (GTD) I like a small display, currently using a 3.5" with all the features described.

Hope that helps

Back