RF 6 Point Cage - How much weight do I need to lose?

Alex Hirsbrunner

Lifetime Supporter
Now that my RF has started it's build cycle in South Africa (Thanks Hersh!), I'm wondering if anyone has an RF with a 6 point cage that can post a pic or describe how the side bars are routed. The image of the six point roll cage seems to be missing in the options section of the RF website.

Thanks & Best Regards,

Al H.

Ron Earp

Admin
Al, I am not certain but I don't think the cage includes side bars. I think the six point cage will give you siz points, all connected together under the spider but providing chassis points at the bottom of the dash area x2, the interior bulkhead area x2, and the engine compartment x2. I might be wrong but that it what I was thinking. Thanks,
Ron

Not the RF cage, but here is how the DRB roll cage is fitted in the door area. Leaves quite a neat space for getting in and out with the bar to sit on and bars to hang from.

Attachments

• 61208-ch52040721005.jpg
    61208-ch52040721005.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 299
Here are a few pictures of the full cage in my car.

21430048-9868-02000153-.jpg

21429957-8888-02000153-.jpg

21429979-6164-02000153-.jpg

21429992-7087-02000153-.jpg

21430012-092a-02000153-.jpg

21429918-569d-020000AD-.jpg

I dont have a shot of the cage under the spider but all I can say is it is a work of art.

As for weight?

Alex Hirsbrunner

Lifetime Supporter
Hi Ron, Lee and Richard,

Thanks very much for all of your responses.

Richard, the silver powdercoated frame looks really cool with the aluminum panels. This is the first pic i've seen with this option.

Even with the full cage it looks like you can just step in, and kind of slide into the seat. Time for a snack /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Best Regards,

Al H.

Thanks Rich and all you others that helped. I made a post and thought I had submitted it but I gues I didn't.

Rich, I forgot about yours having the roll cage or I would have pestered you sooner for those photos.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Alex, The silver that was used on Rich's GT is no longer available as it had adhesion problems and it would crack with bolt stress. We tried several methods and they all failed so we decided that it would be best not to offer it.
Rich's chassis was recoated here in the States, I believe.

Also Rich has the eight point cage. The six does not have the down tube that is located in the door opening.

Hersh /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Ron Earp

Admin
Thanks for the clarification Hershal, I was not a fan of that down tube. If I get that restrictive to entry I'm going to do something more safe such as a triangulated bar - it'd be hell in and out but offer more for protetion, however, it might be impossible to fit something that complex in there. The six point will be fine for NASA and Club track days. Ron

Ron,

It’s not really any harder to get in or out of. As you stand on the seat and slid down in anyway. Getting out you pull yourself up and stand on the seat to get out. Think about it you don’t get in or out of these cars through the side of the door you get in from the top. Well at least that is how I have always done it.

Hersh,

The car is still in the bad power. I always put the car together completely, take it apart, coat it, then reassemble it. That way when you are doing fab work you are not screwing up your final finish. This has helped a lot on my Daytona, as I have done a lot of rework. If I had put the final finish on it would have cost me money and a lot of grief (stripping of the coating).

Tim Kay

Lifetime Supporter
Believe or not, it's easier to get out with the roll cage installed. Just like Richard says, you position your hand above your head and pull your body up rather than push down using you shoulder is something of an awkward position. I have a bad rotator cuff and without the roll cage it would be painful to exit my gt40 without the roll cage /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Tim Kay

Lifetime Supporter
2nd. (You will notice a 'dog leg' bend on the driver side to allow for my left hand shift lever)

Attachments

• 61237-RollCage3.jpg
    61237-RollCage3.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 276

Tim Kay

Lifetime Supporter
Here's one more (last one, I swear /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif)

Attachments

• 61241-RollCage5.jpg
    61241-RollCage5.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 311
Back