Rear Clip and Expansion Tank

During the build up of my chassie I was carfull not to mount the expansion tank to high so as to avoid inteferance when the rear clip closed. The manual does mention this as a cautionary note. As you can guess I have interferance but not how I had envisioned.

There is a bulkhead bonded into the rear clip that should fall just behind the expansion tank as the clip closes. In my case that bulkhead contacts the side of the expansion tank and either distorts or forces the clip back inorder for it to close. I have been looking at repositioning the tank a bit higher but am not sure this will solve the problem.

I should point out that the firewall is a fixed point and I am using the factory set hinge location on the clip. The interfearnce occurs with the spyder set at the 350mm mark measured at the RF recommended point, with the rear clip lined up with the spyder.

Unless I am missing something my options are either to find out what mistake I made or alter the bulkhead to give the tank more room. My idea would be to bond in a one inch deep relief pocket into the bulkhead. Im hoping that before I do that someone might have had the same problem and corrected it.

Peter

Ross Nicol

GT40s Supporter
Peter My tank is 270mm up from the top of chassis (following the bulkhead angle) and 70mm in from the lip on the clip.I have no bulkhead or clip mods.
Ross

Peter,
Here is where mine is mounted. And here is where I cut the rear clip inner panel so that it would fit. This is how all are done to my knowledge.

Hersh /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Attachments

• 61536-Puketankmount.jpg
    61536-Puketankmount.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 316

Ross Nicol

GT40s Supporter
Hi Hersh I do have a clip cutout similar to yours so I may have modified it and forgotten.Well it was a while ago.Hope That didn't throw you Peter.My tank is pretty much where Hershal's photo shows though.The top of my clip cutout is rounded like a spanish doorway.
Ross

Ross / Hersh

You guys are better than a build manual, I suspected that cutting a pocket in the bulkhead was the answer but wanted to see if anyone else had encountered the issue. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

I will make the cutout for now so that I can move on with hanging the body but when I get to doing the acutal body work I will use the lost foam method and mold a fiberglass pocket around the cutout.

Thanks for the quick response. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

PS. The greatest part of hanging the body is that for almost 18 months all i had to look at was a bare chassie, now when i look in the garage I see a car. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Peter

Peter,
What does your wife see ? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Hersh /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Ron Earp

Admin
I'll answer that, it is universally the same. It doesn't matter what sort of car is in there it is all the same - "What are you doing with that big pile of metal out there?" ;-)

R

My wife has not expressed much with the exception of "Going out to work on your car again?" She did help me carry the clips in from the shed and even held the front clip while I started the bolts but non of this help was given with a smile.

If you look closely, the early pictures show my Porsche in the garage along with the 40, well this past May that car was sold. My reasoning was that in the last year I had driven the car only 700 miles and when the 40 was finished it would most likely get used even less. So when a very nice gentelman from South Caroliner made an offer I took it. Now how does this relate to the wife? New french patio doors out to the pool in our bedroom, family room and kitchen, and a new Acura TL for her. She has been very quiet about the GT. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Back