3rd place and on the Podium

Ross Nicol

GT40s Supporter
Well I've cracked it.Came home in the points score race yesterday in 3rd place.I was running 9th most of the weekend but in the last race the rain came in while we were on the dummy grid.This meant no one had the time to fit wet tyres so we all raced on slicks.I got the shock of my life to find I had huge grip and in 3rd place on the 1st lap, WoW!I reckon I could have taken 1st but was so happy to be on the Podium I cooly thought 3rd was mine and don't risk it.Ok so the rational from my point of view is In the wet- 1/ power means nothing
2/ wings do nothing
3/ Mid engine puts weight on rear tyres = grip
4/ drive smoothly,brake earlier and concentrate
Gee I might get known as the number 2 rainmaster after Jim Richards, well we both are Kiwis.
Ross

Tim Kay

Lifetime Supporter
The Rain-man Ross /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Congratulations /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Good on you Ross, wish I had been there. Kiwis should be good in the wet. Dont you all come to OZ to get away from the rain? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Melbourne's the next best thing Pete. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Ross Nicol

GT40s Supporter
Oh well at least you guys are only having a go at Melbourne's weather, I was expecting a sheep joke or maybe a webfoot line.That car of yours is looking pretty good Pete will it be coming to Melbourne for wet weather testing.One thing you will find these cars are a handful to keep clean.
Ross

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Ross, I have an amnesty with the Kiwis while the Ashes series is on. I reckon that is when the ANZAC tradition comes to the fore, hence no sheep jokes /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif. Thanks for the kind words re my car,all is finished and we have passed the engineering and pollution stuff and are now just waiting for QLD Transport to approve the engineers report. Could be a week or a Month so I am chomping at the bit /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif
I plan to drive it to next year's F1GP and park as close to
Pete's Bar as I can get. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif So we will test out the water proofing then...
Any tips on the cleaning process? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Peter Delaney

GT40s Supporter
Well done Rainmaster Ross - if you are going to race in Melbourne, you need to know about water !! (Sorry - as a Sydneyite, I just couldn't resist it) !

Pete - you must be spitting chips by now, just waiting for their lordships to getting around to placing a rubber stamp on a piece of paper - just so that they can whack you with a huge chunk of stamp duty !

Re Pete's Bar - I reckon with your name, your car, a bit of promotional graft from Ricoh, and most of all - your previous track record at the bar's cash registers, you would be a shoe-in for a parking spot right in the bar !!!

As Ross mentioned, these cars are a bitch to keep clean - my theory being no rain & no hoses (easy for us guys in the drought-stricken / water-restricted states north of the Vic border) ! However, if you score that parking spot in Pete's Bar, I have no idea of how you would deal with 20 or 30 gallons of beer spilt all over it (per day) !!

Good Luck Mate.

Kind Regards,

Peter D.

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Peter, you have it nailed, after nearly two years my patience quota is nearly run out. But one thing I have learned is that the more you try to hurry bureaucrats the slower they seem to go. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif I mean if they got it done quickly someone might put more work in their in tray. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Anyway, if you are not successful first up, dont try skydiving. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

A friend of mine, who is very much into cars, is coming to my place on friday to show me a new "dry cleaning" system for car washing. I normally scoff at these "no water" systems, but this guy is into street machines, and wouldnt use it if it wasn't good. I'll get him to try it on my wife's brand new Ford Territory. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif It is black, and will be a good test. I'll let you know how it works.

Peter Delaney

GT40s Supporter
Tim, I saw some of the "dry-wash" stuff at Repco, but it was around $20 for a little container that claimed to do about 6 washes. It will be very interesting to see how it goes on a black car (the ultimate test) !

Pete - yep, hose = leaks into the front compartment, dribbles into the cockpit, etc. I just use a very small amount of car-wash detergent in a bucket of water & run over the car with that soaked into a car-wash mitten. I do about 1/4 of the car at a time with that, then take it off with a couple of runs with a chamois. It seems to work really well, & as there is very little run-off, I usually do it in right the garage.

Bureacrats - what a bunch of morons ! I am sure that your theory is correct, although I have an additional one - they keep on creating more rules & regs so that they continually need more staff to administer them. That way, they need to get promoted to higher grades because they supervise more staff - on & on & on !!

Kind Regards,

Peter D.

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Peter, that sounds too hard for me, sounds very much the sort of thing Di would love to do for me. NOT /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Tim, I have never heard of the dry clean stuff, sounds interesting. Sorry Ross we seem to have hijacked your thread /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif Found a web site. http://www.driwash.com.au/autowash .

Ross Nicol

GT40s Supporter
Guys
Cleaning the outside of the car is easy,the hard part is angine bay,suspension etc.Here are some pics from sunday, just to get my thread back, till we drift again.

Ross Nicol

GT40s Supporter
That smile is still there after 4 days

Attachments

• 61798-100_0198(576x432).jpg
    61798-100_0198(576x432).jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 310

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Hey,we will call you smiley from now on, instead of "that Kiwi b***tard" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gifGreat pics Ross, 4 looks like night is about to fall,what time was it?

Ross Nicol

GT40s Supporter
That's a camera trick Pete coz those track shots were all pre the presentation and it's still daylight during that.Call me what you like mate, water of a ducks back etc.I'm still trying to think of a way of getting up there to insult you face to face at the Indy race weekend.Of course I haven't asked for permission yet either.
Smiley

Back