Sealed beam vs halogen bulb

Has anyone had experience using adjustable headlight mounts instead of fixed sealed beams. I thought I would just replace my existing sealed beams with the straight replacement but there is a variation in the size & the outer chromed cover that holds the light I think is going to look ugly. I am trying to get heaps more light to be comparable with driving conditions on todays roads (goat tracks) we have in S/E Queensland. Any thoughts or info would be much appreciated.

Peter Delaney

GT40s Supporter
Greg, I used Hella Part #1059 for the headlamps which allow standard halogen bulbs to be fitted. The whole lot mounted into a backing plate molding from DRB which is held in place by 4 spring-loaded bolts for adjustment.

The Hella units do not have any chrome surround - they just protrude slightly thru the holes in the headlight recesses & look fairly neat.

If you are running the original style DRB wiring harness with headlight feed direct from the column switch, it would be a good idea to use that to drive H & L Beam relays with fatter wiring on the power side, specially if you are going for 100 or 150W globes.

Kind Regards,

Peter D.

You could also consider upgrading the lights to HIDs.
i don't mean zenon bulbs, but proper HID bulbs with ignitors.

Have a look here ==> www.autolamps-online.com
I've fitted quite a few of their kits to varios cars (and most recently a bike too).
Just be aware that if your lights currently use H4 dual filament bulbs you either lose your main beam, or you need to buy a hi/low beam kit.

All I can say is, the difference on all cars I've done so far is like night and day.

One final thing. Offically, in europe, HIDs can only be fitted with auto-light levelling.
I know this isn't the case in the US, where manual levelling is acceptible. I don't know
what the rules are for Australia though.
Having said that all the cars I've done so far have gone through MoTs with no problem.

Cheers,
John.

Lynn Larsen

Lynn Larsen
No doubt HIDs are bright, but VERY pricey!!

Honestly, Greg, I hadn't heard of anyone using sealed beams. If you'd like information on the codes by which you can determine which country various lenses are made for, and most lenses are made for left or right hand driving, check out this website: Daniel Stern Lighting. (If any of you have http://lighting.mbz.org in your book marks for Daniel Stern, this link will take you to his new address.) I haven't checked out his new address, but he used to have tables which defined all of the codes and markings found on headlamp lenses. He also has great information on "blue" bulbs, hid and just about anything you can think of which pertains to automotive illumination. If you do a search on headlights here you will find some pretty extensive discussions on low beam dip (which is the major issue where right/left hand driving is concerned) and which head light housings can be used in a GT40 - there are several. Daniel also had the best price I had found on the Cibie housings (they bought out marshal(sp) as I recall) which are considered the "standard." Try a search here on aardvark also; several people have paid way to much money to aardvark for these headlight housings. Daniel can also sell you bulbs of various power for the housings, but for these, I'd check with Candlepower. (I found out that this is where Daniel gets his stuff :) Right now I have a set of standard 65W/55W bulbs in my housings, but I have a set of 130W/90W ready to go in after I get the car inspected and registered. I got one of the last sets of housings that Andy at Tornado used to sell with the sidelights in them. I think the sidelights are just cool! There are some Renault (?R12?) headlights out there with provisions for sidelights that will work in a GT40 and they are available for right (French/US/Canada) or left (England) side driving (or is it vice versa? I can't ever keep it straight if it is the side of the road you drive on or the side of the car you drive from :)

In terms of making them work, you may have to get creative. My car had very different clearances from one side to the other; bracketry for mounting/adjusting was pretty straight forward on one side and took a lot of "fitting" on the other. I would think that the DRB would not suffer from this asymmetry. My headlights just extend out of the openings, as Peter D. has described, as well. Mr. Delaney knows of which he speaks and is worthy of close attention! (you can send me the check later, Peter :) Also, I would think that Denis could give you guidance on this or, perhaps, Peter at GT40 Australia.

Regards,
Lynn

Thanks everyone for the advise, My apologies if I offended any one by not including my name at the end of my request. I will get the hand of the etiquete etc. as I go along no doubt.
I have included a Ford logo for now until I get a photo of my car down to size to fit on my avitar.

I will hopefully speak to Peter at the DRB factory next weekend. Obviously the budget speaks louder than light so I might keep it simple with the Hella's as Peter D has suggested.

Thanks again
Greg Q
DRB #17
Proud new owner & keeper of the legend that Chris has built.

Peter Delaney

GT40s Supporter
Lynn, your cheque is in the mail !!!

Greg, The Hella units also have the "sidelights" built into the housings - nice & neat, but don't really meet the "letter of the law" as far as ADR's & visibility is concerned. However, as perspex covers are now legal, there is an argument that the reflection of the sidelights off the perspex is enough to meet the regs - it might be worth asking the question of Peter Ransom or Ray Cross.

Kind Regards,

Peter D.

Lynn Larsen

Lynn Larsen
LOL, Peter :)

I dropped a note to Daniel to complement him on his new website (all the info I mentioned above is still there - and more.) Here is his response on headlights suitable for GT40s:

"I will have 10 sets of genuine, actual, real Cibie H4 GT40 headlamps and bracket assemblies coming in not too long from now."

Regards,
Lynn

Peter Delaney

GT40s Supporter
OK Lynn, here is where I expose my total ignorance !

I have seen most of the short-hand expressions like FYI / FWIW / IMHO / BTW, etc., & also LOL a heap of times. I have worked them all out except LOL ! I assume that it does not mean "Lots Of Love" ! , so what does it mean ?

Kind Regards,

Peter D.

Lynn Larsen

Lynn Larsen
Don't feel bad Peter, for the longest time, I thought it meant Lots Of Luck. I finally had to ask someone too. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Lynn

Back