less body roll more view of corner apex

Ross Nicol

GT40s Supporter
Remember the photos of my car at Phillip Island with a lot of Body Roll in corners! Well new stiffer springs have sorted it out and a side benefit became clear at the weekend.As the car was, during cornering I could not see the corner apex and would have to anticipate it before I got there.Now I realize it was the inside guard pitching up that blocked my view. With the front sitting much flatter (Thanks to the new springs)I can see the apex and car turns in better.The only thing I have to generate more heat in the tyres on the warm up lap as I speared off the track with understeer on the first hot qualifying lap.Now I'm happy with springing I'll move onto the bars and sort them out.This meeting was the 2nd year anniversary of the cars 1st race and my it's come a
long way.I like to do things in an ordered and progressive way and I have not gone backwards.Hopefully I have been able to enlighten and contribute Ideas to others during the journey.
More to come yet.
Ross

Ron Earp

Admin
Ross, what springs rates did you go to? Once you get the springs close you can go to bars as you mention for fine tuning and also alignment to get it all right.

Ron

Ross Nicol

GT40s Supporter
Hi Ron I have been a bit hesitant to give my spring rates because Roaring Forties are building a car that I will probably have to compete against and I thought I should keep my data secret, but I like to be helpful to forum members and I say what the heck.I have upped the front springs from 500Ib to 600lb and the rears are 350lb.Now guess what spring rates that RF car starts with eh?I actually did a good deal with the dealer and bought a pair of 700lb as well for $250.They are also the Koni dealer and have offered to test shocks and help out for free.Now I have a podium in my bag I suppose people will be more forthcoming, time will tell.I told Tim Kay not to give out my spring rates but now at least I don't have to kill him, now it's public.
Ross

Tim Kay

Lifetime Supporter
Yes Ross, even though your down under and I'm up here I do value my life and want to live to race another day /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif Your secret was safe with me /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Now I can breath a sigh of relief knowing you let the cat out of the bag before I slipped up /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

The benefit of harder springs concerning cornering power is camber control. Ok, its a good thing to SEE the track. What I am trying to say is that its a good idea to keep the blance right here. The roll should be balanced with rollbars against the springs in a wheelbase to track width ratio in order to keep pitch and roll the same angle at the same G-force. So it might be a good idea to sort this out, and I am talking WHEELRATES, not spring rates for both the bars and springs.
Regards
Goran Malmberg

Back