GTD on Ebay

Hi Guys,

First of all, thanks to everyone who’s shown an interest in my GTD GT40 replica.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?V...AMESE%3AIT&rd=1

You may have noticed by now that the auction has passed the point where the car can be pulled from sale and sold to a non-Ebay person (sorry those of you from www.pistonheads.com).

This means

THE CAR WILL BE SOLD THIS EVENING TO THE HIGHEST BIDDER !!

Those of you that have been to see the car will I’m sure agree, that it’s one of the best put together GTD’s in the country. The attention to detail on this car is second to none. Those who have been for a drive will also agree when I say this car has one of the nicest rides for a car of this type, as well as being one of the quickest I've ever been in.

Should anybody who has not been to see the car want a look at it today, or at an time up to the end of the auction, I will be at home all day (5 mins from J29 of the M25) and can be contacted on either 01708 224402 or 07802 463848.

A couple of other points I may have missed out from the original description, the car has a brand new battery, green stuff pads fitted all round, the fuel pumps, filters and fuel (Aeroquip stainless braided) were all replaced when I bought the car.

I must re-iterate that I have spent THOUSANDS on this car since I bought it last year (over £2,000 alone on the massively powerful new braking system) The servos have been rebuilt and chromed, the steering rack reconditioned and repositioned to reduce bump steer etc etc etc.

EVERYTHING that has been done to this car has been done to a quality and NOT to a price (have you SEEN how much laser cut stainless panels can cost!!!!!)

If you’re thinking of bidding DO IT NOW, leave it until the last minute and you could lose the car. I can promise you, you will NOT be disappointed! I can also promise you whatever the car sells for, It will be a bargain. Take a look at www.autotrader.co.uk under Ford – GT. The CHEAPEST there is 34K

Again, the auction will run until the end and

THE CAR WILL BE SOLD THIS EVENING AT 7.30.

Happy bidding.

Simon

Paul,

If nobody bids higher than £22,000, then thats what it'll go for. If you bid £22,001, you may get it! (if you do want to bid, don't leave it too late though)
I have no say in the final price, it's whatever somebody wants to bid.
Good luck

Simon

Honestly Simon,
I like a lot your car, but from all your post i think it is a too big suffer for u to loose your 40.I personally will never buy a so special car from a guy that loves that so much, cause really seems to me to "robber" u something u loved too much(also if u get money).
I like the way Paul Thompson writes about sold out cars,when he says "gone to another guy that will love that even more.....",AFTER u enjoy that enough.
As i told u before..i am really sad for u for this sale, also cause i followed u in all the wreck repair and if i will be u i will never sell the greatest car I ever had in my life,and i am ready to do the impossible to keep that with me

That's all my friend
Paul /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Keith

At 22K it was an absolute snip. Well done on selling but I'll guess it wasn't your choice.

You'll be back....

Thanks guys,

The reason why it "only" made 22K was this site.
After I had my little accident, I posted pics and asked advice. When I came to sell, so many people used this site to look at my posts and as soon as they saw the car had been in a minor bump, they didn't want to know.
None of them took the time to see the damage was minor, none of them took the time to see the car was repaired to be BETTER than before, none of them took any time to ASK me about the damage, or who repaired it (Roy Smart repaired the chassis, Chris Melia supplied the body panels)
As a direct result of me sharing my troubles on this site, I have lost several thousand pounds. Take care when sharing too many details of your car, it may come back to haunt you.
Simon
ps, this is not a criticism f this site or the people who run it, this was all my own fault. I just hope others can learn from my misfortunes. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Ron Earp

Admin
Hi Simon,

I am sorry that you didn't get the amount of money that you wished for the car. It is always a shame to be forced into selling something to meet other needs, and most times this also forces one into accepting a lower value.

I do feel the need to respond to this post since "the forum" is involved. Simon independently asked me and Lynn Larsen to delete the posts that carried questions that Simon asked to forum members about the accident and photos of the damage that he posted months and months ago. It was the case some years ago that you could edit posts on the forum, delete pictures, and delete the entire content of posts. In fact, when people needed posts edited and could not manage it themselves I used to do that for them.

However, in late 2003 with the "Superformance Coming" posts that stirred up a lot of mudslinging etc. I found that posts had been edited severely, deleted entirely, and stories got changed around. Don't bother looking for it now - the posts are altered and you can't tell where the problems were occurring, but it is what happened at the time. After that I asked folks what they thought of having a time limit on post editing and people thought that was a good idea, so here we are. Since then I've sort of held to the policy that I won't edit or change posts for folks.

In addition, the way the software is now if I delete a range of posts then the forum might end up with the nasty "Do Not Delete" author that makes a mess of things - for an example go look back at some of the first posts on this forum, waaaaaaay back, and you'll find a lot by "Do Not Delete". That is Lynn Larsen posting and that happened while we were trying to correct something with his login and multiple posts.

However, I would suggest I think you could have minimized the impact of having pictures on the forum by completely disclosing them and the cars' history in the Ebay auctions. It might could have alleviated some misgivings that bidders had about the car once they found the forum threads on the accident. Again, I'm sorry if the forum has caused problems with your sale but I wish you well with your new venture and I sincerely hope you'll come back and join us again with another GT40! Take care,
Ron

Ron,

I hope you didn't think I was having a go at the forum or the way it's run. I made the post, and the responsibility rest firmly with me. I'm just trying to make folks aware that this can happen.
As for the damage, I didn't feel it was necessary to dredge up something that happened over a year ago, was fairly minor (despite my first worries) and led eventually to the car being MUCH better than it was before.....It seems I may have been wrong.
I'm pretty sure the price has disappointed all those UK GTD owners who have been following the sale.
By the way, the car is going to a forum member, Olivier, who lives in Paris.

Simon

ps, I may be back sooner than expected /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Ron Earp

Admin
Hi Simon,

No, I really didn't think you were having a dig at the forum or admins, but I did want people to know that the decision to not pull or edit things is mine and why I made that decision. I'm sure people reading your post would simply ask "Then why didn't the posts get deleted?" and I wanted them to know why.

I'm not sure about UK sellers/buyers, but with cars I've bought and sold I've always asked about damage and I always disclose everything I know about a car I'm selling. I like it all out in the open. In the end your car was MUCH better off than it started, that was for sure and seemed to be a decent spec.

Ron

Simon

As someone who also had to sell a specialty car on short notice (more than once), I suspect timing/luck had more to do with your final price than the car's history.

While some buyers are fanatic about previous damage,
most buyers are more logical. Each car stands on it's
own merits. Best of luck and hope you find what you're
looking for.

MikeD

Back