103 for sale again

The ex Shelby/Bill Wonder GT40 103 is now back to Shelby colours and is up for auction at Monterey - the nose is nothing like how it looked when raced by Shelby, which is a shame.

GT40 103

Cheers.

R&M's estimate for the car is $2,200,000 - $2,600,000. That's less than the $3,000,000 Symbolics was asking for it. Anyone know what it actually sold for?

I wonder if R&M deliberately set the estimate low, so they could get potential buyers interested, and so they can get publicity afterwards when it goes for $1,000,000 over the estimate?

Its a small world....my brother was at Symbolic on Saturday and said 103 was there in Shelby colours ready for auction and the $3 million price tag still remained.Regetfully was not allowed to take photographs.

I cannot believe that they did that to Bill Wonders car.........what an absolute travesty.......just goes to show how little a genuine history means to some people .

Take one of the realest of the real cars and make it just like all the other over-restored ones (and the fakes.)

Typical.

BD

Darned! I always looked at 103 as a good example of the idea that a GT40 was a race car. Gave me an excuse to get it done ... even if it wasn't as pretty as I'd like.

GT40_103_before.jpg

Taken at Symbolics last fall.

Although #103 spent decades under Bill Wonder's ownership and just a few years under Shelby's, I think all of the huge value in today's market for this car comes from its Shelby history--1965 Daytona winner, etc. To fully capture this value, the car needs to be in the mechanical configuration and paint scheme that it was in with SAI when it first made that history. Bill Wonder is a heck of a fella and was a terrific steward of this car for almost 40 years, but except for GT40 wonks like us and some hard core vintage racers (Bill ran a McLaren Can Am car for a number of years in vintage), he's an unknown and not likely of much interest to the people that have the resources to ante up for #103 today. They want the Shelby connection. Same thing goes for my GT40. What from its history means most to the market: that it was the principal team car for Scuderia Filipinetti in 1966--just 1 year--or that I've owned it for 27 years? Just my $0.02.

Yep, Tim Kay posted the info and picture in Monterey Historics thread on this forum.

"Last night at the Monterey Auction Prototype 103 sold for 2,275,000 usd, appeared to be only 2 bidders"

Have no fear. This car is in good hands. I just saw it (along with 1021, 1037, and 1015) in its current state this morning. It was bought by Larry Miller (who owns the other cars as well, along with 10 or 12 original Cobras), and is to be carefully restored to racing trim while retaining its patina. If you've seen his other cars (e.g., at Monterey), you know that it'll be done properly and tastefully...

Back