A Tornado build at the home of the Original GT40s

Well it's about time i started this or it will never will (the thread not the car).

The rolling chassis kit was collected about 6 weeks ago, so far cleaned the garage, sorted my tools, bought a new aluminum jigsaw blade and started the build.

I Hope it will take quite some time to complete, the enjoyment is in the making and the odd hour 'tinkering' in the evening whilst the soaps are on the TV.

Also it may take a while longer than some others as i only have a single garage, although so far I have only found that this means I have to organise myself in advance and be tidy

Attachments

• 62016-Mychassis0068.jpg
    62016-Mychassis0068.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 953
A picture showing the acres!! of space i have to work in. Just realised teh title of teh tread doesn't make sense unless you know the first 40s were built in Slough.

Attachments

• 62017-Mychassis0078.jpg
    62017-Mychassis0078.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 903
Hi Gibbo, I've been lurking in the background for a couple of days and thought I should take the time to register.

How have you found the Tornado kit so far? I've been looking at theirs and the MDA / Race Car Replicas kits and am very very tempted. How much do you reckon you'll end up spending all in? I notice a lot of people posting (and kit manufacturers) are in the US so just wanted to get an idea of how the situation in the UK compares. I have another year (at least) of saving to do yet just wanted to get a feel for things.

Hi,
You are in good company as there are a number of people who have built or are building Tornados not many miles from you. Also, there are a couple of meetings left at the Fairmile before aforementioned Tornados and other GT40s are put away for the winter, if you feel the need for an injection of enthusiasm.
Welcome to the forum and enjoy your build. Then the fun really starts!

Tony,
As someone who owns a GT40 replica, how would you rate the handling / driving experience? Is it how you expected it, better or worse? My mechanical experience is slightly lacking (I've helped out on a mini restoration but that's about it) and I'm concious of investing several years (and a lot of money) in building a kit only to be disappointed.

Also, what is the inside space like for tall people? I know you can get bubble roofs (it looks like your car may have one in the picture) and chassis with the seating area lowered, but are they suitable for people over 6ft tall?

Andrew,
Your first question is a bit like, 'How long is a piece of string' as it depends on what you are comparing it with. Also, I'm no track-fiend so I'm not sure I'm qualified to comment anyway!
That said, the acceleration is mind-blowing and the steering very direct. Turn-in is very rapid and there's loads of grip. At Goodwood last year I was intrigued to discover that you could hear the amount of slip on the wheels and that breakaway was very progressive and quickly corrected. My only concern might be with being able to get large amounts of opposite lock on quickly, say in the wet.
I am 6' 2" and when I bought my car, I couldn't drive it. The GTD pedals were too close together for my size 11 hooves and I can't think of any time when I would ever need to press all 3 pedals simultaneously. However, a number of options were open to make more space:
1. Remove the seat from its runners and bolt it direct to the floor. This produced 7/8" of vital headroom and at least meant I could shut the door.
2. Install a Gurney Bubble. This was probably the most significant factor in allowing a reasonable driving position, which because it's almost completely reclining, is very comfortable. I have worn a helmet which, as long as you engage your head in the bubble while closing the door, works very well.
3. Remove the old pedals and install Tiltons with separate master cylinders and a brake-balance bar. Custom-built pedals, to optimise the throw available were necessary, but they also allowed almost infinite adjustment to ensure everything was spot on. I have also invested in a pair of casual trainer-type shoes which have no welts, so my footprint is of minimal size.
I have since driven the car to Le Mans and back, did 3000 miles last summer and am well on the way to another 3000 this year. The only thing I notice (for about 5 minutes) is the offset seating position, with my clutch foot on the centreline of the car and the throttle pedal heavily displaced towards the centre by the wheel arch. You have to be absolutely sure you have the clutch pedal when doing a racing change into a roundabout, as getting the brake pedal with your left foot causes clouds of smoke and very frightened following drivers!

Thanks for the response Tony. I'm certainly no expert when it comes to handling - I've not made it to a track day yet. My usual drive is a small 130bhp hatchback which is pretty far removed from a GT40 in terms of handling and power. I just want to make sure I don't spend all my money building a nice looking, fast car which handles like a Trabant.

I too am around the 6ft2 mark with size 11 feet so it's good to know I should (just) be able to fit in. Has yours got the dropped floor? I think I'd prefer to go down that route than having the bubble and fixing the seat to the floor. My girlfriend would also be driving the car and, as she is 5ft2 I'd like to be able to have the seat on runners.

Finally, and a general question, am I correct in saying that the fuel tanks are built into the sills? Does this worry you at all (ie. the risk of them rupturing in a side impact)?

Thanks, Andrew

Gibbo
Congradulations on getting the car ,Hope you have lots of fun putting it together.

You do look a bit confined for space.
Do yourself a favour & make some sort of stand with wheels.

The car will get heavier as you go.At least you can move it from one side of the shed to the other.

Have fun Jim.

Already done. An unwanted length of kitchen counter about 3 foot long, for casters and 3 old tyres. Once teh wheels and susspension are on i wil make up some wheel dollies to move her around

A little progress. I have welded in the sill top strengtheners, now the sill tops don't bend when you sit on then for a contemplative cuppa!!!

This weekend will be rear bulk installation and maybe some front bulk head work.

Also i will be ordering at least one Tornado seat and runners so I can position the cross struts for the runners. thanks for the measurments Paul, but i don't feel lucky. Its not like it will be a waste of money, i need a set of seats.

Attachments

• 63264-Picture(13).jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 1,088
Back