Audi 016 Strengthened

This is very interesting. Is there any more info you can post, or better yet, is there a way to contact the guy who came up with this idea? It seems like a straight forward operation, but it would be interesting to see if it actually worked.

Has anyone here blown up their 016 with the same description of damage as this fellow has experienced?

I have had my box modified the rear bearing casting was machined out and a steel carrier was put in. The problem with the casting is that there is just not enough meat in the web of the casting to stop it breaking out when dumping the clutch. I have only just started driving my car and still sorting out a few teething problems so have not put any real power through the box. I know of one other guy who has had this mod done and has had no problems with it.
Regards
Paul R

Let me start by saying I am not a transaxle expert - but since I'm already in the process of developing a new R&P for the Audi 016 5N, I've had plenty of discussions with the folks at GTA (German Transaxle of America - in Portland, OR).

According to them, the typical failure of the cast iron section is usually due to a problem with the bearings. In an older box or one with enough wear, the bearing breaks down and there is then no preload on the shaft - in fact John said you can virtually spin it freely if wear is sufficient. When the bearings are the problem, then you have too much lash (play). Then when happy go lucky GT driver drops the clutch from 3500 or 4000 rpm, the shaft slams back and something is going to break. Thus, it's not that the cast iron piece is necessarily weak (albeit noone is saying it's indestructible), the problem probably started with issues with the bearing.

When GTA builds their transaxles for racing applications, John said they tend to build them 'tight' - that is with less than the factory usual play on the shaft. The more the shaft can move, the more likely you'll have the failure from slamming it. Also, he said they setup the R&P with less slap as well. However, if you have tons of horsepower and you insist on 'dropping the clutch', sooner or later you will break something.

Finally, a couple of us forum members pointed John to the website showing the 'gear plate'. His first impression was that it didn't look too well made, and that you'll still have a problem if you drop the clutch and there's enough play to have the shaft slam back into things.

Bottom line, the gentleman with the 'gear plate' would have to show me some more data to backup the claims of improvement in strength. My layman's point of view is that the work didn't have a high quality look and I tend to be a skeptic until I see the hard data to backup the claims. I just find it hard to believe something so simple looking would suddently make worlds of difference with this particular box.

So, that's about all I can say for now, but I'd love to hear any contradictory points of view. I'm trying to learn as much as I can and it's great to discuss these kinds of thing on this open forum.

Mitch D

Well I dont think it could hurt things. The excess flange sticking out i doubt adds any real strength to it. Maybe a nice tight box Mitch and this plate would help. I think Hersh shucked out his 016 two years ago in this way doing a burnout on a drag strip.

Well, I finally found this site. I am the guy that made the plate.
The only data I can provide is hard real life driving facts. Since I installed the plate I have not had a transaxle failure. We have had 3 broken axle shafts since. I just made my own since axle shaft makers can not seem to make a strong enough axle. I used 1350 light truck driveshaft components.
We are running 335/30ZR18 tires, 3400lbs car, 320Hp, Audi 016 AAZ. The car is rented out to every moron in the city of Toronto.
I am a licensed mechanic holding certificates of qualifications in:
Truck and Coach Technician
Motor Vehicle Mechanic
Automotive Service Technician
Diesel Engine Service
Transportation Technologies Teacher - Secondary School.
Transportation Industry Welder

I have rebuilt and repaired many transmissions from all sorts of vehicles. I have extensive knowledge of gear setups, adjustment and modifications.

I disassembled three of these broken transaxles and found NO gear or bearing wear. All had the same problem. I am sure John at GTA will agree that the natural tendency for the pinion shaft is to smash through the cast iron case. This is why I made the plate. So far it working flawlessly.
We have put on over 3000 miles since the install and not a peep for the gearbox. We have hit speeds over 140MPH and driven for over 4 hours at freeway speeds, no problems.

I hope some of this info helps, if you have any questions please feel free to contact me
[email protected] [email protected]

Cheers
Jim

Back