1075 Lights etc.

Ian Clark

Supporter
Hi Guys,

Dug out some early pics of CAV #47 better known as CAV1075. With the addition of blacked out headlight opennings, side marker lights and large driving lamps it really hits you hard. The numbers kind of make a statement too.

Nasty:)

Attachments

• 62707-1075stock.jpg
    62707-1075stock.jpg
    182.3 KB · Views: 410

Ian Clark

Supporter
As she looks now,

Ok we didn't go with the blue surrounds on the headlight covers, I preffer the black. However a little thing like painting the orange edges on the driving lamp covers makes a big difference.

Check out the rear track width...

Cheers

Attachments

• 62708-1075notstock.jpg
    62708-1075notstock.jpg
    182.6 KB · Views: 423

Ian Clark

Supporter
While we're on it, here's the first car we did with large driving lamps and side markers. It's John's copy of JWA1076 the third place Le Mans car 1969.

Note the stripe doesn't wrap around the nose. That's the way it should be on this car.

Cheers

Attachments

• 62710-1076FrontWow.jpg
    62710-1076FrontWow.jpg
    144.2 KB · Views: 444

Ron Earp

Admin
Ian, I like that last shot, I really do like it not wrapping around the nose. The Gulf scheme was never one of my favorites (I think it looks good some don't kill me people!) just due to every fifth car being painted that way, but the stripe and black out really do it justice. Well done!

Ron

Ian - spectacular looking 1075 clone. I too think the details make a difference (black out headlights, orange around the driving lights). I only have one picky comment - it looks like the mustache curves a bit incorrectly as it goes into the front wheel openings. Looking at some pics of the genuine 1075 it looks like they should be about horizontal as the line goes into the wheel well. On the CAV factory paint it looks like they are curling downward - maybe it's just the perspective.

here's a link to a pic of 1075 (I don't want to copy and paste since it's not my image!)

http://www.supercars.net/Pics?viewPic=y&...40%20Mk1%20Gulf

Mitch D

PS - love the webers and the heatshield idea! Your temp readings would indicate it's very effective - how did you measure the temps?

Ian Clark

Supporter
Hi Ron, Mitch

Thanks for the compliments. There's lots of other colour schemes I'd like to do Ford France, Essex Wire etc.

About the stripe around the nose, this is as provided by CAV and we had to decide between repainting the front clip or living with it. Sometimes absolute duplication although possible isn't in the cards.

Still, one sweet ride!

Cheers

Ian, Do those driving lights have a bezel that allows the beam to be adjusted? If so, please let us know the source.
Many Thanks
Brian

Alex Hirsbrunner

Lifetime Supporter
Hi Ron,

I tend to agree with you even though I am getting the "mustache" gulf scheme on my RF. I really prefer the arrow stripe that was carried by #ll in the 1968 Lemans race (I believe). Unfortunately, I've never seen it in person (only on the Fly slot car version I have) so I didn't want to risk the suprise of having it look funky in 1:1 scale when it shows up at my house!

I don't plan on creating a clone of any specific gulf car, rather I am going to use the traditional "T" in the roundel used by factory and teams on their test mules.

Attachments

• 62738-11Ford2L.jpg
    62738-11Ford2L.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 355

Alex Hirsbrunner

Lifetime Supporter
Here's what I'm talking about minus all of the soot and mismatched body panels! (sorry for all the slot car photos)

Regards,

Al

Attachments

• 62739-FlyGB09Rear.JPG
    62739-FlyGB09Rear.JPG
    26.4 KB · Views: 321

Ron Earp

Admin
Al, that arrow is cool, I have not seen a GT40 painted like that. It is neat to have something that is unique and among the myriad of Gulf cars that would stand out.

Ian, did you say that the round driving lights have an integral turn signal / parking light imbedded in them? If so, I too would like to know the part number / source>

thanks

Ian Clark

Supporter
Hi Brian, Dave

Yes they do have a parking bulb amber and in our application a hi-low bulb for driving. Take a deep breath and go to www.europaspares.com You can buy the lamps, trim rings and mounting buckets there.

We use the amber bulb for parking lights (no brainer) and the high beam element for turn signal. The lamp is so low there's no glare to oncoming traffic although they sure get the message about which way your turning:) So what to do with the low beam element? it comes on with the high beam dip switch. Works great to fill the near field vision whilst the high beams of the main lamps shoot down the road.

Cheers

The car with the orange arrow is actually s/n 1076 during the 1968 season. 1074 had the single stripe down the middle. It was in the 1969 season that 1076 went to the single stripe paint scheme, which obviously is my favorite.

Beautiful job on the car.

Sandy

Gulf GT40
Lifetime Supporter
[ QUOTE ]

www.europaspares.com You can buy the lamps, trim rings and mounting buckets there.
Cheers

[/ QUOTE ]

Lots of nice parts on the site, just painfully slow here in the USA. They also have some nice Willans harness, not sure how they would fit a gt40, but better prices then I have seen state side.

Ian - Did you use the 7" or 5 3/4" Lights for them?

The car looks great!

Sandy

Do either of you know the part number. I do not have a catalog and the search engine on the site did not return what I was looking for.

Sandy

Gulf GT40
Lifetime Supporter
I *think* the Side Repeaters are - 2BM003 (not sure if this is what was used on Ian's car) and the Head light buckes are S5538,black plastic ring is S5723. I they list it as a [Nest Unit 5 3/4"] on the site. I think if you just bring up the "lighting" section of the on-line catalog you can painfully get to it. I finally had to download the catalog as it was just too slow to navigate. The bulbs they have with the side lights are LA1014 (Conti Dip) which is what I think you need in the USA. Otherwise bulbs are the regular 5 3/4"...

I looked around alot on the web this weekend, but couldn't find a place in the USA that had them, might have missed it but down the road looks like I'll have to place an order from them as well.

HTH

Sandy

Back