CAV Upgrade Tech

Hi all. As some of you know I have completed several upgrades to improve the breed and am working on others as we speak. I have taken some time to show photos of some of the upgrades on my website with very brief descriptions. I will expand this area in coming weeks. You will notice that some of the buttons on the left do not have labels but are also available at the bottom of the pages. Bill Gates and I are trying to figure this one out /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif. The "CAV Tech" Page is locate here CAV TECH

Thought I would give you an early heads up.

Gary

Gary,
Excellent idea! I am going to add the bend into the clutch pedal as soon as I can find some free time.

Hi Gary,

Your web site is a treasure of information about CAV cars. It was one of the first sources of information I found when I was in the “research” phase before I bought my car. I downloaded all your photographs and studied them in detail. I am glad you are planning to promote some of your upgrades.

As a turn key GT40 replica, the CAV is really nice in stock form. All of the really hard and messy work is done, and because the cars are factory assembled, they are remarkably similar from car to car. For that reason they will be easy to personalize with aftermarket upgrades.

You and others who are making upgrade kits available are totally on the right track. It is going to give CAV owners, as a group, a way to stay engaged, keep their cars current, and maintain value.

Having a totally finished car to drive is nice, but for me, I also like working on my car and knowing that there will be a long list of upgrades that I could do in the future as time and money permits. I think the key here is carefully engineered bolt-on upgrades that are within the capability of most home mechanics. The CAV is certainly not a Mustang, but the pattern might be the same.

I look forward to your posts.

Bob

I do and will try to take time to add this sort of info. My full time job(s) are taking a lot of time. I am in the middle of a few other things which include:
- Fully heim jointed and easily adjustable upper front control arms.
- Custom made polyurethane bushing kit for any or all of the current suspension points.
- a forward mounted cable operated Accusump
- a better roll cage that includes a main cage that has tubes around the door opening for use all of the time, and removable bars to run at the top of the side windows for track use.
- Cable operated drop down license plate inside the front opening
- Upper mounted (to roll bar) wide screen rear view monitor and rear view camera.
- Improved shifter (may by Ian's or make my own).
- dual side mounted engine oil and tranny oil coolers (see 427 FE CAV on my SAAC 29 page for like photos).
- revised tank vents with in line ball valves to allow for totally sealed caps (like Buzz).

Gary, have any of these upgrades been made by CAV to the new post 100 cars?
Nice web site and thanks for the info. Steve

To my knowledge only the bent pedal, rerouted AC lines to left of clutch, relocated AC condenser (not sure), and upgraded 1/2" heim joints on rear trailing links are included as part of SN 100 on. I personally think that many of the other mods make a very nice track car, but have not been fully embrased by the factory for use on all cars.

Thanks Gary. I was told by CAV that a suspension upgrade had been made, would that be the heim joints your refering to?

To my knowledge they have changed the rear heim joints so that all are 1/2". Originally the rear joint of the trailing links was 3/8" So that is one of many changes that I have made.

Ron McCall

Supporter
[ QUOTE ]
I do and will try to take time to add this sort of info. My full time job(s) are taking a lot of time. I am in the middle of a few other things which include:
- Fully heim jointed and easily adjustable upper front control arms.
- Custom made polyurethane bushing kit for any or all of the current suspension points.
- a forward mounted cable operated Accusump
- a better roll cage that includes a main cage that has tubes around the door opening for use all of the time, and removable bars to run at the top of the side windows for track use.
- Cable operated drop down license plate inside the front opening
- Upper mounted (to roll bar) wide screen rear view monitor and rear view camera.
- Improved shifter (may by Ian's or make my own).
- dual side mounted engine oil and tranny oil coolers (see 427 FE CAV on my SAAC 29 page for like photos).
- revised tank vents with in line ball valves to allow for totally sealed caps (like Buzz).

[/ QUOTE ]

Gary,
Have you had a chance ro look up those part #s?
Thanks!

Hello Ron,

I have a Tilton hydraulic throw out bearing in my car (FSB 342/ZF-2) but have not finished the installation so I cannot recommend it until I have some driving time. I also have an untried Earl’s adapter on order to go from the stock CAV clutch line into standard AN-4

M12-100 TO -4AN ADAPTER
P/N# 306-4-M121D--£10.63 each

I will be glad to post the Tilton part number information Monday night when I am back in the shop with the car.

In the mean time here is another set of part numbers that were given to me as a reference. All these parts have been installed and used with no problems by a GT40 owner and SCCA driver who also works in the automotive industry.

McLeod clutch components:

Flywheel - aluminum w. dowel pins 0 - balance 157 t PN# 563100
Hydraulic tob w/screw ZF transaxle PN# 1402-20
Hydr bearing spacer for Pantera PN# 1428
Clutch disc 10.5 X 29mm X 10 SPL Dual Perf PN # 272180

I hope this is of some help.

Bob

Attachments

• 64992-TiltonThrowOutBearing_2.JPG
    64992-TiltonThrowOutBearing_2.JPG
    84.6 KB · Views: 350
I have included part numbers on my website for the clutch system and pedal system. Obviously Bob and I are using different clutches and thus need different T/O bearings. Both of my systems work well. I encourage those reading this post not to mix and match parts (e.g. Bob's T/O and Gary's clutch setup) unless you want to look over the engineering, etc.

Gary and Ron,

Gary, thanks for adding part number specifics to your website. This information is very helpful to me also as it is a completely engineered solution which obviously is working well for you. That makes it a very safe bet.

Ron, forget my Tilton bearing and go with Gary on this, his setup has already proven itself on the track and on the road. If I was staring from scratch I would also follow his recommendations. The McLeod parts I listed are also a known good setup but not as trick as the Tilton brand. Depending on how my engine and trans go together, I might end up doing the same.

Bob

Back