any 40 racing in the States?

Are GT40s allowed to race in any series in the US? I have heard different people were working on setting up a series or homologation. I'm wondering who is allowing what these days.

Thanks,

Mark

Ron Earp

Admin
If the GT40 were allowed in SCCA it'd be in a SP class, and that would require a GT40 that is prepped to a level that I have not witnessed on this forum or heard about. In fact, I've not looked at SP requirements but seeing cars that run there (ex-NASCAR, ex-enduracnce racers, ex-road racers) it'd be a serious undertaking. I'm sure it could be done, but it'd take a lot.

NASA has treated replicas better than the SCCA with the creation of KC1 through KC5 classes, where (correct me if I'm wrong) KC1 is under 100 rwhp, KC2 is under 200 rwhp, etc. and I think KC5 is 500 and greater rwhp. But, like many NASA events there are so many damn classes it is like everyone wins since entrants are spread out. There is the Honda Challenge, with subclasses no less, and you could end up being first in a class of one. KC classes in the SE are hardly, if at all, populated. But, I think NASA is the best bet since they at least realize replica/kit cars and will allow them to run with proper class equipment.

I've sort of figured I'd use mine in track and test days, while using the race cars for real racing. I'm 100% sure a SCCA competitive GT40, if we could run it in SP, would not be anything you'd want near a street.

Ron

Ron Earp

Admin
I checked with Jeff Young, my partner, and with the SCCA GCR. Special Production is a regional catch all class and the cage/safety stuff will have to conform to Touring Specifications, which isn't too bad at all.

The negative thing is that it is regional and thus some regions don't even have SP classes. The most common cars in SP would be ex-NASCAR (at least in my region, there are a bunch in the SE) whilst the occasional turboed 3rd Gen RX7 will show too. Basically, it ends up being a glorified track day since there are only a handful of cars in it, it is regional only (no national recognition, no run offs), and it gets no serious SCCA attention, which is unfortunate. You'd get FAR more track time with a 40 in HPDE schools and track days than you'd ever amass in SP with SCCA.

Ron

In the Midwest, Chicago area, the Midwest Council still runs an A Sports racing class. It's kind of a run what ya brung class for big HP cars. They run 4 or 5 tracks in Wisconsin, Illinois and Michigan. It's relatively cheap racing and pretty laid back, until the green flag drops.They are on the Web. http://www.mcscc.org/
Bill

Ron Earp

Admin
That is an interesting body, close to SCCA it appears, some of their own rules, almost idnetical classes to SCCA, but has SCCA typos in the lists of car (I just checked ITS since I know it well - there are a bunch).

Nice they still have a very open class though, that is for sure.

Ron

Gee guys, that sounds pretty gloomy. I thought CAV or Superformance was trying to form a GT40 race group, event or even take a shot a homologation. That's not a proper fate for a car that loves to be driven hard.

How many of you guys have a competition license ? I know some of you do, but I bet it is not even 1 in 10. I think if you took the first step in getting a license, and then organized a group, there would be plenty of places to run.
How about a "show of hands" for those with licenses to race.
I am happy to have a track event for those interested in the Southeastern US.

Ron Earp

Admin
I've got one, as do some others I'm sure. But, the best bet right now for GT40s is NASA KC classes, and I just don't know how active they are. In the SE they are not that active, that is, the KC classes in NASA.

Next year I think I might take a stab at organizing a VIR track day for GT40s/Cobras. I don't think it'll be that expensive for a good number of people and it'd be a hoot.

Getting GT40s into the SCCA or getting the SCCA to recognize them (and Cobras and other "replicas") would be very difficult - the SCCA is a big ship and it turns slowly, very slowly. I assume you know that Johan if you have a SCCA Competition License, but if you don't you will once you go get it! This is part of the reason I think that NASA gained such popularity rapidly since they could respond to members' wishes/needs quickly (KC classes is a good example), but also part of the reason for their decline in recent years because the organization has no real stability/underpinnings that racers need to start investing $$$$ into a spec or class car.

Best,
Ron

Back