GTD Front Upper "A" Arms

GTD Front Upper \"A\" Arms

So now I have goofy question number 961, Are the front upper "A" arms handed on a GTD? That being is there a left and right upper A arm? If so, how do you tell them apart? Mine are symetrical from what I can tell. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif
thanks
Brian

Re: GTD Front Upper \"A\" Arms

Hi Brian -

Sorry for delay in responding....... to 'Goofy question 961'

Early GTDs have symetrical arms so they can be used on either side. However, later arms included a slight offset of the upper joint towards the rear (10mm?) which enables a more sensible adjustment of caster.

Hope that helps.....
(probably as clear as mud!) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

(ps - your motor/trans pics looked good - perhaps an article for the next club mag?)

Hi Paul, no problem with a delay, I know you and the gang have been out playing in the rain. Thanks for the info and since I have one of Ray's last chassis, I better give my arms another look.

When is the next mags copy due? I was planning to put pen to paper in September after work lets up a bit..

Regards
Brian

Brian, have another look at the article about the Southern GT in the Mag, the front suspension arms are compatable with your car, and will give you much greater adjustment facilities as well as better geometry. Frank

Hi Brian -

The next club mag is due out in Sept (BEFORE AGM in OCT)... so I would need the copy by about Sept 10th if poss...

ps - Your top arms will be fine I'm sure but IF you consider replacing them, also consider Roy's latest version that also directly replaces top arm and is fully adjustable.

Speak soon - Paul...

Attachments

• 63557-RSGTDTopArrm.JPG
    63557-RSGTDTopArrm.JPG
    37.8 KB · Views: 323

Frank and Paul, Thanks for the advice regards to configuration and possible upgrades. However, I am going to act upon the advice of a very good friend of mine, Roy Smart, who said, " Build the car with what you have in hand and worry about the upgrades after the car is on the road. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Else you will be upgrading and not driving"

Brian

Malcolm

Supporter

Hi Brian

Agree with what Roy said. However because I have cut and welded my suspension arms a lot over the years, I have just bought a set of Roy's arms and am pleased with them. I was keen to get the non symetrical set as it gives me more ability to play with castor. I also chose Roy's option to have heim joints on the upper arms so I can play with camber more easily too but I know Roy can supply with the tubes for rubber or nylon bushes to be the same as the standard GTD fittings.

Looking at the picture Paul posted above, I also think Roy now does these arms in straight tubing as opposed to curved tubing, but check first.

Back