Museum Seeking GT40 Camera Car - "Le Mans" (1971)

Museum Seeking GT40 Camera Car - \"Le Mans\" (1971)

Hello!

I'm hoping one or more participants in this forum might have knowledge of the whereabouts (provided it still exists) of the Ford GT40 converted to a roofless camera car for the filming of the 1971 Steve McQueen film "Le Mans".

We're in the final stages of preparing a major new exhibition on the life and legacy of McQueen as an actor, race driver, car collector, etc. To represent the pivotal "Le Mans" movie, were seeking to group together the Porsche 917 and 911S driven by McQueen with a Ferrari 512 from the film and the GT40 used as a camera car for on-track racing scenes.

At this point, the Museum has received encouragement that the GT40 likely still exists, and may be located in Southern California.

Whether the car remains in its roofless form or has been rebuilt to original specs is not particularly important. It is also not important if the car is currently outside the United States.

I don't currently have specific car data available (year of manuf., chassis/engine nos., etc). If this information would make the search easier, I should be able to ascertain some such details.

Any information about the car's current situation would be tremendously appreciated!

Best regards,

Bryan Stevens
Exhibits Director
Petersen Automotive Museum
Los Angeles, CA
[email protected]
(323) 964-6350

Re: Museum Seeking GT40 Camera Car - \"Le Mans\" (1971)

I did a little research and found the following from http://www.gt40.org.uk/Cars/1074_1.htm

[ QUOTE ]
GT40P/1074 was a rebuild of Mirage M.10003 and was painted in the now well-known Gulf colours of pale blue and marigold. Although the car raced at Le Mans in 1968, it failed to finish. The cars best result was at the Monza 1000km which it won in the hands of its regular drivers, Paul Hawkins and David Hobbs.

In 1970, the car had its roof cut off and was used as the camera car for the Steve McQueen film "Le Mans". The car was restored, complete with roof, some time later.

GT40P/1074 has recently been restored and has been returned to its Monza-winning configuration.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bill D

You might check with Harley Cluxton, owner of Grand Touring Cars in Scottsdale, Arizona, about the whereabouts of #1074 today. He was close to John Wyer and had each of the three Gulf Team GT40s (1074, the double Le Mans winner 1075, and 1076) pass through his company to buyers, and sometimes on resales as well. Harley also sold the sole remaining Gulf Mirage, #10001. It was parked about 2 bays away from my GT40 #P1040 when I visited Harley in 1978 to buy my car. Harley's business telephone number is 480-991-5320.

You also might try Bob Ash. He restored Gulf Team GT40 #1076 and had access to #1075. He may know about #1074. Bob's telephone number is 770-446-0810. Please let us know if you have any success.

According to Trevor Legate's book, "...Acquired by the Blackhawk collection in California and passed to current owner Chris Cox in 1995." So that may be a place to start, though it certainly might have changed hands since 1995. Also, I would think that George Stauffer might have a pretty good idea where a bunch of cars are today.

I'm guessing that's Chris Cox of Chapel Hill, NC, who had a Porsche 935 and a Ferrari 275 GTB/C entered in this year's Monterey Historics .

Maybe we should send Ron & Lynn to look for him /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Ron McCall

Supporter

ALso a 69 Boss 302 Trans-Am car! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Thank you, everyone, for the continuing information. I'm following all leads offered and will post any updates as we make progress in our search. Your assistance is invaluable.

Best regards,
Bryan Stevens
Petersen Automotive Museum

Lynn Larsen

Lynn Larsen

I have tracked down Chris Cox from Chapel Hill. I talked to his secretary who couldn't verify if he owned 1074 or not, but she did take a message. So, hopefully, I'll hear back from him and we'll know what the scoop is on his involvement with the car.

L8R,
Lynn

Bryan, Welcome to the forum. You will find it to be a great source of information. No doubt, someone here will know where it is.

Also you might try to contact Ronnie Spain. He wrote a book several years ago called "GT 40 An Individual History and Race Record". Here is a thread posted here some time ago trying to contact him.

http://www.gt40s.com/ubbthreads/showflat...=true#Post56743

Lynn Larsen

Lynn Larsen

I just spoke with Chris Cox. He did own 1074, but has sold it to a friend. While he did not offer the friends name, he did say that he would contact him, give him the information which I conveyed to him and let him decide if he wanted to pursue it further. I gave him the forum's website and told him where this topic was located.

Bryan, I also gave Chris your name, title and a brief description of why Peterson's was looking for 1074. While Chris didn't/couldn't guarantee anything, he assured me that he would contact the car's present owner. If you would like to contact Chris directly, please get in touch with me and I will provide the information that I have.

Regards,
Lynn

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter

Bryan

It sometimes takes me time but I normally remember where I see bits and peices

Have a look at
http://www.gt40club.com/historic.htm
This is Ken Saunders site and in it he says he owns the original bodywork as used in the filming

Now is that a direct link or what?

Ian

Back