Adaptor Plate 101

OK all, I need some adaptor plate 101 to help me. The person, who was going to make me my adaptor plate has decided not to now (this is not his fault). The manufacturer, who I thought may be able to help won't sell individual parts.

So it looks as though, with the help from you all I am going to have to make my own; or at least make a template and measurements for someone else to cut for me.

The gearbox is an Audi 01X below.

Brett

Attachments

• 63858-front1_01X.jpg
    63858-front1_01X.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 380

Ron Earp

Admin
Brett looks like you have a business opportunity - I'm sure a lot of other people would like a well made plate too.
Ron

Brett, have you worked out exactly how thick you want the adaptor plate to be, taking into account your desired clutch and clutch release mechanisms, Frank

Frank,
That's going to have to be part of the process as well. The option we discussed at Goodwodd the other day was no go, so I am back at square one /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

I am assuming that the 01X is similar to the 01E pattern. Provided Robert doesn't mind, can someone tell me how thick the RF plate is. Thanks

Brett

Chris Duncan

Supporter
Don't know about the RF plate but I can tell you the thickness of the KEP plates. They are 5/8 where they bolt to the engine and 1/2 where they bolt to the trans (porsche adapter). The material is 2024 T4 which is considerably stronger than 6061

Howard Jones

Supporter
You can use a cam timing wheel a steel tape and both the block and the transaxle bell housing to draw a diagram.

Afix the cam timing wheel to the crankshaft with the center of both the crank and the cam wheel alined to dead center and straight up and down. 0 degree @ exact top and center of motor. You can use a plumbob for this. Then project a straight line from the center of the crank to each of the bell housing mounting bolt hole centers. Record the angle and distance for each. It would be best to make a mock up plate out of thin alum and transfer the data onto it with fine centering holes.

Then do the same for the gearbox bellhousing. You will now have all the necessary holes mocked up on the alum plate.

Simply transfer the data onto the thicker prodution plate.

Of course the more exact your work the better the result.

Back