UN1 Gearbox with Quaife Diff

Howard Jones

Supporter
The above gearbox is listed as a UN1-R25 from a V8 lotus. Is this the same as a R21. I would NEED a 3.44 diff. Does anybody know if the later lotus boxes are the same as the renaults. Would the input shaft be the same splines? How about the bellhousing? Is the lotus different?

Pedro

Supporter
Actually the transaxle is listed as a UN1-27 from a Lotus Esprit V8, the UN1-27 and the later UN1-28 were used on the V8 powered cars, these transaxles were made by Renault specially for the V8 cars, I really don’t know much about the internals except that the
-27 and -28 had optional LSD from the factory and that the cases are much stronger than
The Renault boxes, the webbings on the outside are much thicker. The bellhousing is definitely different from the Renault boxes and the V8’s and the four cylinders cars are also different, a really good box I think. Don’t know about the input shaft but that should be an easy item to replace.

My two cents.

Pedro

Supporter
One small note, the transaxles actually came with what Lotus called a Compact Torque Biasing Differential, not LSD. Provably something from Quaife.

Pedro

Supporter
Yes, the Renault bellhousing will mate with the Lotus gearbox I have a UN1-26 that came from a Lotus Esprit S4 and both the Lotus and a Renault V6 bellhousing and the both fit, I can send pictures if you need, everything is for sale by the way.

Back