Weight of current 40's

Weight of current 40\'s

Hello,
What is weight numbers of current 40's as on the road. What is the waeight of current chassis - along and with suspension/uprights etc.

Thank you
Ted

Re: Weight of current 40\'s

Ted,

From memory, my GTD in standard form (302, iron uprights, AC & fluids) weighed in at 1147 KG.

Hope this helps.

Chris Duncan

Supporter

the original MK I - 2,000lbs. , 900 kg.

the MK II - 2680 lbs, 1216 kg,

My scratch built - 2100 lbs, 950 kg (dry)

GTD40 with A/C full laether interior,180lb. driver and 12 gals. of fuel and all other fluids 2755 lbs.(u.s)

Tim Kay

Lifetime Supporter

Tornado with 15 gals, 302 iron block, alum heads, a/c @ 2400 lbs.

Ian Clark

Supporter

Our last customer car scaled (JPs 1076 clone) came out to 2490lbs. Ford Racing 347, ZF 5sp, Gulf Body, Wide Track Suspension and A/C of course! CAV used to offer a "race weight" body which took another 100lbs out of the car. We're heavy because of the gauge of stainless used in the monocoque. As anyone who has driven or ridden in a CAV will tell you, this is one SOLID automobile.

Attachments

• 64189-WeighIn.jpg
    64189-WeighIn.jpg
    238.1 KB · Views: 295

Ron Earp

Admin

I wonder how much and original car "weighs" now? Press material from the 60s was nortorious for inaccurate info, I'd like to see an original GT40 on modern scales for comparison. Be interesting I think! Seems most of the replicas weigh within 5% of one another regardless of construction type.

On-the-road weight of my scratch built steel monocoque with GTD fiberglass shell, Alunimum 4.5L Rover, Renault 30 g'box, all fluids and with 35L of fuel was 2210lbs (1005kg).

Ian Clark

Supporter

Hi Ron, I may have been dreaming, but I thought Shelby said in the video made at the Glen Reunion that the MK11s were over 3,000lbs and Phil Remington developed quick change brakes that could stop a freight train! hmmmmmm

Cheers
Ian

Karl Ludvigsens book gives the following weights:

1963 lola GT = 2120 lbs
1964 GT40 factory quoted curb weight = 1960lbs
(the 1964 weight limit for the GT class the 40s ran in was 1923lbs)

original 1964 team cars = 2308, 2310, & 2355 lbs (using colotti box)
1965 LeMans weights = 2350 to 2452lbs (ZF box & revised nose)
1966 LeMans weights = 2416 to 2465lbs (final mkI noseshape with NACA ducts)
Alan Mann cars 170lbs lighter

1966 mkII factory quoted LeMans weight = 2645lbs
1966 mkII Alan Mann LeMans weight = 2657 & 2676lbs
1966 mkII Shelby LeMans weight = 2670 to 2714lbs
1966 mkII Holman-Moody LeMans weight = 2734 to 2745lbs

1967 mkII LeMans weight = 2679, 2692 & 2701lbs
used iron heads (+50lbs) & roll cage (+200lbs), but new mkIIB bodywork saved weight
1967 Mirage LeMans weights = 2357 & 2218lbs (lightest recorded weight for any GT40 derivative)
1967 MkIV shelby LeMans weight = 2652lbs
1967 MkIV Holman-Moody LeMans weight = 2573 & 2586lbs

1968 - no figures

I assume the LeMans figures include the weight of the driver ?

Hope that helps /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Ron Earp

Admin

Ian, that is why I think I'd like to see one weighed on "modern" scales. Not that I think the scales are any different, I just think the reporting is a little different. On the other hand, remember, you're talking about Shelby here, that fellow could get some facts mixed up and tell some stories, that is for sure.

Nice summary John, but those figures in the books are the exact ones in question since they seem to be simply pulled from press releases of the day. Still, those you've posted seem more realistic than others I've seen.

I'll ask in work to see if we can get 1008 on a set of scales. Worth a try. If they say yes and won't provide the scales, anyone willing to lend them?

Brett

Phil with the yellow RF quik build just weighed his car , but I cant remember the exact number that he told me but it was pretty light. Chime in guys. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Ron, I believe those weights are the official recorded weights of the cars as entered for LeMans.
They obviously did change as the cars evolved, and as spoilers etc were added for different circuits.
The Ludvigsen book was first published in 1970, so I would guess the figures had a good chance of being correct (less time for them to be 'manipulated'. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Ron Earp

Admin

John, those do look a lot more accurate than any others I've see or heard tell of. The "MKI GT40 at 2000lbs and all the replicas are heavier" is something I've believed to be myth for a long time and those numbers seem to prove it. Our replicas probably weigh about same as the original cars and, for most of us, have more horsepower than the original GT40s. If a lot of care is paid to setup they should handle better as well. Be interesting to see how people develop their replicas as more and more get used for track events.

Ron

I think, although am not actually sure as I can't verify it, that those weights include the driver (the lightest one in the team).

So I guess if you deducted say 180lbs off the LeMans figures that would give the cars weight (or at worst an alternative one...)

Just a thought - I wonder if Jim or J-What ever weighed their mkIVs...

Back