GTD Steering heavy

CURRENTLY BANNED
Just wondered if someone could shed some light on why my newly aquired GTD's steering is so heavy?
In comparison to other GTD's I've driven, it's much heavier.
I have not had the chance to check the steering rack for tightness with the wheels off the ground yet, but could it be the castor or camber?
Thanks

John
I would agree with gary on those two items. If your caster is high (lets say 5 deg or more) you are essentially lifting the vehicle as the wheels arc thru the steering range. If you lift the front of the vehicle and the steering is still hard this would mean a bad rack or binding somewhere in the linkage. If this is the case Imho I would find it and remedy the problem as this can eventually lead to breakage somewhere...not a fun situation. I have seen racks bind up, or get tight from lack of lubricant, but most often it is some type of mechanical damage such as a bent component. If your caster is around 5 deg or so I would leave it as this gives a very stable track as long as the steering isn't too heavy for you.
Good Luck
Phil

Hi John

Too much caster is most likely cause, but do give the bottom ball joints a good look too. I have come across two examples where bottom joint failure (partial seizure) has given a 'heavy feel' to the steering.....

CURRENTLY BANNED
Thanks for your advice
Does anyone know the serial number or make of the bottom ball joints?

Check the middle nylon bush at the bottom of the steering column. Some non GTD aftermarket ones are around that can bind, and give the impression of a heavy rack.

Ian Clark

Supporter
Hi John,

Are we talking about heavy all over or just at parking speeds? If it get lighter with speed it's geometry, if it's heavy all over it's mechanical. If the steering wheel feels notchy to turn very slightly, I'd be suspicious of the steering colum bushings too. Good luck my friend:)

CURRENTLY BANNED
Thanks for your advice, when I get the front end up in the air, I'll check all those points.

Back