Renegade Hybrids Trans for GT-40?

Has anyone used or know someone who has installed their units of the modified trans and cluchtes in a GT-40. They also claim to have developed a cable shift with a new shift pattern. They have very informative PDF download for those interested. Kevin

Lynn Larsen

Lynn Larsen
As far as I know, most of Renegade's stuff is OEMed. The side shift mechanism is made by Bobby Hart at California Motorsports. The shifter is the same one several people, including Patrick Motorsports, sell. I can't remember who it is that actually makes it, but Roger Brown at Power Haus II can tell you and he is designing a new mid engine shifter setup. I can't tell you if or how much of the adapter you are looking at is from Kennedy (KEP), but I know for a fact that they resell KEP stuff.

Unless you have a personal reason for not using KEP, I don't see a reason not to use them. I and everyone on this forum who has used their stuff has been happy with it. A few people have complained about their responsiveness, but I think that is because they are still a family business and do a LOT of work. I can't say enough about how impressed I was with their adapter and, especially, the fly wheels I have purchased from them. Also, when I got the internally balanced flywheel from them, they quoted me a price a little higher than the 28oz or 50oz part that normally comes in their kits, but when it arrived, the invoice price was actually cheaper!

Regards,
Lynn

I was speaking with Renegade a couple of weeks ago. They have changed their cable system recently from the one supplied also by Patrick and Powerhouse II to a different one which connects to the side shifter Lynn mentioned. They no longer supply the one supplied by Patrick and Powerhouse II which connects to the rear rod. Here is a picture of the new one supplied by Renegade.

Attachments

• 64223-sideshifterpicweb.JPG
    64223-sideshifterpicweb.JPG
    103.8 KB · Views: 373
Here is a picture of the one supplied by Patrick and Powerhouse II. This picture is a couple of years old, so it may have been developed since then. This is the one for 930 normal (Porsche) way up. They also do a very similar one for G50 inverted. I don't have any photos of it. If anyone has please can you send me them.

Attachments

• 64225-cable0005.jpg
    64225-cable0005.jpg
    121.3 KB · Views: 413
I didn't know that KEP made a shifter setup, or I would have probably order one when I ordered the rest of the setup. does anyone have a ppic of the KEP unit?
Lee, how much is Renegade asking for their unit? When I was talking to them about my 930, they were really pressing me to send them my unit for rebuild etc. They wanted to flip the ring gear dtc. etc. Wanted me to "do it right" instead of flipping the unit. The owner of Renegade, can't remember his name, has a 930 setup that he loves. Their prices were a little on the high side as I remember.

Bill

Not sure about what KEP can offer, and I'm afraid I haven't had a price from Renegade, but it looks like an expensive kit. As Lynn said the side shifter is probably brought in, from CMS (see Tim's post click here )
I have attached a photo Renegade sent me of it.

Anyone got photos of the Powerhouse II, Patrick, old Renegade setup?

Attachments

• 64279-Linkagecloseup.jpg
    64279-Linkagecloseup.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 339

Sandy

Gulf GT40
Lifetime Supporter
Yes, the one Lee has a pic of is the one they were putting in the package they were quoting me on. I think if you look at the post that is something like 'Choosing the right manufacture LONG' you will find a bit more info on a rough quote for a 930 end to end. The shifter looks very VW'ish and plastic-e, nothing that I would ever want to see in a my GT40, but they (Renegade) was very helpful overall in getting prices and information. Ultimatly Fran (RCR) is taking care of the gear box and I recall PowerhouseII (sp) is doing the work as well as letting me select the gear ratios of choice and a torsen diff, so I'm happy.

Sandy

Does anyone have any photos of the inner parts of this shifter mechanism? I would really like to see what the inner linkage looks like.

Here is a pic of one I have started, shows where I have tapped into to do the shifting work. Actually, it is stupidly simple, but a lot of work, this is my cheesey prototype that took way too long to build and is now going to be used. A rod comes in from the right side (looking at pic) that rod has a ball on it that meets with that ugly looking welded peice on the main shift rod. I am sure this makes absolutely no sense, if anyone cares, I will try and figure out how to draw it in, but I am slow.
Ok, pic too big, need to play with it anyways. Maybe tomorrow.

Tim Kay

Lifetime Supporter
Does anyone have a close up picture of the shift lever using two cables, similar to the picture Lee posted above by Powerhouse II.

I surely understand the fore & aft throw but how does the cable control the side to side throw at the lever. Keeping in mind it is mounted in limited space on the frame, next to the gas tank (not the center tunnel \ left hand drive - left hand shift).

Once I understand how the cable is manipulated at the lever, the attached end at the tranny is easy.

[ QUOTE ]
Does anyone have a close up picture of the shift lever using two cables, similar to the picture Lee posted above by Powerhouse II.

I surely understand the fore & aft throw but how does the cable control the side to side throw at the lever. Keeping in mind it is mounted in limited space on the frame, next to the gas tank (not the center tunnel \ left hand drive - left hand shift).

Once I understand how the cable is manipulated at the lever, the attached end at the tranny is easy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Here are a couple of pic's of perhaps the simplest cable shifter I have ever run across.

Andy

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry, hit the send button too soon..........

Here are a couple of pic's of perhaps the simplest cable shifter I have ever run across.

Andy

Attachments

• 64355-SandShifter.doc
    90.5 KB · Views: 299

Lynn Larsen

Lynn Larsen
Here is a very quick, very simplified drawing to illustrate one way the side to side motion gets translated in the shifter. This is how the Toyota shifter that I use does it. The side to side motion of the shifter causes an arm to move in an up and down plane. This is translated through a bell crank to a fore and aft motion which is transmitted by the cable to the back of the transaxle.

Regards,
Lynn

Attachments

• 64367-shftop.jpg
    64367-shftop.jpg
    8.4 KB · Views: 332
I have a shifter that came from a mid-late 80's Toyota MR2 that looks very similar to the one in the first photo.The cables would be too short, but the shifter is a very nice little unit.Cheap and fairly plentiful. I'm going to use it in my mid-engined Corvair. Cheers, Dave

Lynn Larsen

Lynn Larsen
Dave,

What we did is buy the shifter with the cables. Then we cut the hard parts off of the stock cables and welded them to steel rod which was then drilled and tapped to accept Morse stainless steel control cables of the proper length.

Regards,
Lynn

Attachments

• 64425-shifter2.jpg
    64425-shifter2.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 361

Chris Duncan

Supporter
Lynn,

what Toyota shifter is that?

do the SS Morse cables have heim rod ends on them like the
other pics?

Eric,

would be interested to see your pic.

Lynn,

Me too, what Toyota shifter is that. I have my cables but no shifter yet. Need to get one soon. Appreciate the help.

Not sure which Toyota this came out of...I assume if you
compare pictures a Tercel or Corolla shifter it might
become more apparent. As Lynn says...they're pretty simple
devices once you look closely.

Here's a stock Toyota shifter and one from CAV (?).
In addition to straightening the handle (?)..looks like the bottom ball was cutoff and shaft threaded for a Morse cable

MikeD

Attachments

• 66470-toyotashifter2.JPG
    66470-toyotashifter2.JPG
    264 KB · Views: 326
Picture of the other side.
Looks like Neal uses the same shifter.
It appears you can use Morse cables with either
Heim ends or ball/socket ends.

MikeD

Attachments

• 66471-toyotashifter1.JPG