How much heat can a cable tie withstand?

Ron, any thoughts on how to estimate how much heat a cable tie can withstand? I'd like to use them to secure my coolant tubes.
thx
Brian

Hi Brian -

Sorry to jump in here but I came across THIS WEBSITE which seems to identify the working properties of a number of ties.

For the record, we use quite a number of the 'black' nylon type ties on Roys car and the only thing we would'nt tie to is a header - everywhere else and they hold ok..... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Ron Earp

Admin
They work great on oil and water lines. Our race car(s) are 20% by weight cable ties.

BUT.

Do not weld near them. The UV emissions depolymermizes them in a hurry. Want to test? Tie some stuff up with black cable ties. Weld a nice 1/8" steel plate about 4" long to another one near by. Wait 24 hours. Come back, crack cable ties with fingers. I found out the hard way on the Jensen - I tided up everything under and in front of the dash properly BEFORE the cage was built and welded in. Afterwards I had to replace all the ties because they were brittle. Might be my cheap ties, I'm the master of cheap, but I don't think so.

R

Sandy

Gulf GT40
Lifetime Supporter
You can get some stainless steel zip ties that work pretty good for high temp areas (Fire sheild, etc). The are about $0.50 - $1.00 each as I recall. I got some from www.waytekwire.com. They pull like the nylon ones, but you will need to either buy the $300 tool or cut them with some snips. They are an excellent source for wiring supplys and other related stuff's. They do have minimums on many things, but many folks resale their items. Also I'll bet McMaster Carr has them and they are crazy fast to ship out most anything.

Sandy

Chris Duncan

Supporter
Just like the hose clamp thread, all cable ties are not alike.

from www.mcmaster.com

Nylon Cable Ties
Also known as zip ties, these cable ties are lightweight yet strong. All are made of nylon (unless noted) and have a temperature range of -40° to +185° F. UL recognized (unless noted).

Notchless Nylon Cable Ties
The body of these ties has a smooth, notchless design for infinite adjustments. The head has an embedded stainless steel lock. Temperature range is -40° to +185° F. UL listed (unless noted).

Specialty Nylon Cable Ties
High-Temperature Nylon Ties— Added chemical stabilizers permit continuous use at temperatures from -40° to +221° F. Color is black.
Fire-Retardant Nylon Ties— Meet UL 94V0 flammability requirements. Temperature range is -40° to +203° F. Color is off-white.
Chemical-Resistant Tefzel Ties— These ties are resistant to a wide range of chemicals, withstand high temperatures and UV light, plus meet UL 94V0 flammability requirements. Temperature range is -65° to +302° F (except for 70215K81 , which is -50° to +302° F). Color is blue.
Parched-Environment Polypropylene Ties— These ties will not become brittle in dry environments. They also withstand the effects of acids, alcohols, and salts. Temperature range is 40° to 221° F. Color is black.

Back