Suspension/Chassis books--any opinions

Hi everyone,

I've been doing a lot of reading lately, concerning chassis/suspension design. I'm hoping to build a suspension setup for a project I've started. My problem is that I'm pretty comfortable with the theory side of things, less so with actual implementation. This project is meant to help me expand my horizons. I need to gain some practical background as well as further theoretical background before I feel comfortable doing this.

Anyways, here are some of the books I've read:

Racing and Sports Car Chassis Design by Michael Costin and David Phipps

Competition Car Suspension: Design, construction, tuning by Allan Staniforth

Race Car Vehicle Dynamics by Douglas and William Milliken

The Costin book was recommended here in the tech forums. I've enjoyed all three books, though I can't say enough good things about the Milliken book--very theoretical though!. Another book I've been considering is

Racing Chassis and Suspension Design by Carroll Smith

Anyone have opinions on this book? I'd love to hear it or any other suggestions.

Thanks in advance,

Aaron

I have read and highly recommend Carroll Smith's other books:

Engineer to Win
Prepare to Win
Tune to Win
Nuts, Bolts, Fastners & Plumbing Handbook.

I haven't read Racing Chassis & Suspension Design yet, but if it is anything like as practical, direct, useful and enjoyable as the late Carrol Smith's other books, it is a must have.

I'd also be keen to hear if anyone have any feedback on this one.

Thanks

Ross Nicol

GT40s Supporter
I have all Carroll Smith's books they are great, I also have the Staniforth book and Fred Pun, I think it is.Must check out those other 2 books. I have put theory and practice together on my car and the trick is to only change one thing at a time, drive the car and think logically about the results.For example I put a stiffer set of front springs in and went a little too stiff as car understeered off the track before I could get the tyres warm enough.
Ross

One you might like to take a look at is, How To Make Your Car Handle by Fred Puhn. It's one of the HP Books. Has info to help improve handling, safety and performance. Setting up a chassis for highway, road course, drag or oval track. Practical data, formulas, and instructions.

Bill

Back