Keeping a fuse panel dry

My fuse panel will not conveniently fit under the dash, so I'd like to mount it either up front to the side of the pedal box (no vacuum assist on this car) or behind the driver on the firewall. However, I need to put in it a box of sorts to keep water off of it. Anyone have an idea what I can use? It's an Americal Autowire fuse panel about 5 x 8 x 3.5" tall. I have done searches, but can not find an adequate enclosure. Even plastic will be fine.

Many Thanks

Brian

Lynn Larsen

Lynn Larsen
Brian,

Try Radio Shack; they have various size project boxes and you may be able to come up with just the one you need. I used part of the hacked up mini space saver a/c housing I got from vintage air. (I used the internals in a housing fabricated to fit the car.)

I have bought several things for my car there: micro switches for the door activated courtesy lights, rheostat for the instrument lighting and diodes to prevent feedback in my radiator "fans on" indicator light. I am presently looking at using a 1/4" audio jack (like old fashioned headphones) to plug in the battery tender.

Regards,
Lynn

Brian

Under my front clip in the area of the brake and clutch master cylinders, I have some relays and horn. I never get water in that area. I do drive it in the wet, UK weather is such that if it is dry when you go, it will be raining when you return!
That's not to say your fusebox won't need protection, I'm just saying that that area of my car doesn't get wet with rainwater.

Regards
Dave

The other day I was watching the Spike channel on their radical CJ off road build and they showed a fuse panel from Painless that came in a plastic box type container with a clear pop top that is guaranteed to keep the fuse panel dry. Check with them or American Autowire. They probably have exactly what you need.

Bill

Back