I need help identifying my starter

Pat

Supporter
I've pulled my starter after some erratic performance and the bench test indicates it needs replacing. What I discovered is that it is not a part anyone locally can identify. (I have a 5.0L Ford mated to an Audi trans.)
The case says it is a BOSCH 9 000 694 043 and that number is followed by 952C-11000-AA which looks like a Ford number that I can't cross reference. On the casting it has TS 180 AJ and 9 001 694 167. Does anyone know the application or where I can secure a replacement?

Attachments

• 64994-Starterfront.JPG
    64994-Starterfront.JPG
    134 KB · Views: 324

Pat

Supporter
Thanks for the PM, in answer to the question, the location of manufacture is South Africa. I really appreciate any and all help in figuring this out.

Ross Nicol

GT40s Supporter
Veek
My starter is from Ford Racing and looks very close to yours.The numbers off the box are- M-11000-A50, Mini Starter 302.You have the 11000 code on yours so that is significant.Hope this helps.

Ross

Veek

It look like it is a Bosch Hi Torque starter for a V6 Ford engine. It has planetary gears just behind the the mounting plate. I have just fitted one to my GT as the normal V6 starter would not turn the motor over when hot.

Regards
Paul

Pat

Supporter
Thanks Paul, I think you are spot on.
I took it to a starter shop today and they think it is out of a V6 Essex Ford engine. If their cross reference is accurate, they were manufactured for the 3.0L Capri and Iveco trucks 1978-1982. They are going to pull it apart and see if they can rebuild it. So far I've only been able to find out there is no apparent USA source and Prestolite in the UK has 50 pieces on back order. Maybe I'll get lucky on the rebuild.

Pat

Supporter
Thanks to all and the great network on this site. The starter is out of an Essex 3.0L Ford V6 found in the '70s Capri and early '80s IVECO light trucks. With that I was able to get it rebuilt for $129.00US versus the $450.00 they wanted for a new one. As suggested on another thread, the rebuild versus buy seems to be the better option.

I have not looked at the starter used on the Audi/302 set up. However it sounds the same as we have on our Renault/ GTD/302 - Bosch starter/Essex 3.0 V-6 etc. If this is true IMI Performance Products, in Whittier, CA is just starting to make a Hi Tork starter with a mounting plate to match the Renault GTD set up.I believe they are going to give it a part number of GTD40 and it should be selling for under $250.00 US. Jump on their web sight and get the contact info.

Back