SPA, 25th Sept

Robin Batt is racing the old "Yellow Peril" at Spa Francorchamps on Sunday 25th. Bob Usher-Sparks (GTD)and Graham Turner (917 replica) are also entered in the same race, together with a load of awesome Cobras etc. We look forward to seeing any friends who can make to come and find us in the pits. Frank

I sure will go and see the races on saturday as well on sunday.This is a great event i recommend it to everyone.see you Frank.greetings Emiel /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Glad to hear Robin is out with his GTD 40 replica. Trevor Taylor is also booked but i doubt very much that Bob Usher-Sparks will be out as he seems to book races but never shows up.
I hope i,m proved wrong because 160+ drivers applied for 78 places and some fine cars and their owners were declined.
First race for my beast so don,t expect miracles. Very quick, and only 808 Kgs but an awfull lot of "fine tuning" to do and Spa is being used as a reliability and detailed evaluation of many new parts in readiness for Fran Hall(RCR) and my joint 917 production in 2006.
Mike Walker is sharing his Crossle with Clint Dorrel and Cheng Lim is out with his awesome Cobra.

I,ve already surrendered to those three !!!!!!!!!

Regards,

Graham @ GTA/Gulf Oil UK Racing.

Graham, a simple check with race organisers would have shown I have always formally withdrawn from any races in good time so allowing reserves their entry - In 30 years motor racing I have never simply 'not shown up' for anything - ever. Unthinkable to be so discourteous. You do not know me and I do not know you other than by sight having exchanged but a few sentences only, and to make such a sweeping statement on a public forum without reference to the facts is unfortunate; I have accepted your verbal apology.

I have just returned from Spa with a badly slipping clutch. Other than a rash of other bad luck incidents and a 720 spin I was black-flagged in qualifying as another car was wrongly displaying my race number. 15 minutes lost out of 30 minute qualifying time as officials insisted I get out and report to the Race Director so only got in 2 speed laps. The other car was a mini, they deleted my times instead of his by mistake so I ended up with his time - if I didn't have bad luck I'd have no luck at all.

In any event, the time sheets showed many errors wehere a mix up where some transponders were mistakenly issued relative to car numbers resulting in many slow cars getting very impressive times including the number of laps completed so obviously many faster cars were posted way down the grid and it was agreed things were very clearly wrong for many drivers. But, it's the racing that counts and with so many much faster cars down the grid and less than the 79 who were qualifying will provide a superb spactacle and enormous fun and be the real proof.

Robin Batt was unlucky in qualifying to spin on an unseen film of oil finely sprayed from the previous session resulting in Frank Catt was doing his usual sterling work in realigning the offside rear suspension. Nonetheless Robin had courageously continued despite this 'off' and qualified with an obviously ill-handling car.

For me - home to spend a rare Sunday with my family rather than continue with the cascade of bad luck events and compete with 75 cars starting with a slipping clutch - so allowing a reserve car to have a race.

Bob,

I did say i hope i would be proved wrong and i did say to you that on my return from Spa that i would unreservedly apologise.

The organisers certainly made a lot of mistakes and what was done to you you and Trevor Taylor was absurd and very sad.

Maybe if you actually spoke to some of us fellow SRGT members sometimes we, and i,m not alone in saying this, would know what the problems were and would not be so dissapointed in not seeing you out with us.

Anyway, Bob it WAS good to meet you again and it would have been nice to have said farewell.

Regards,

Graham.

Back