Renault UN1 Oil seals.

I've got a slow leak on one of my CV adaptors. It is coming out of the edge of the case between the cv adaptor and the oil seal. Has anyone come across this and know a fix. The silicone I put on the splines is fine and it's not leaking from the roll pin. Anybody know if you can remove the oil seals from the outside of the box or is it a pull apart job ? Any info welcome.

Hi Paul

Getting the old seals out is a lot easier if you do split the box, although you can get them out without. Chris Cole sells the seals - about £14 each last time I got some if I remember correctly...

Make sure you are careful re-fitting, the lip can be easily damaged.

I tried calling Chris this afternoon the answerphone says his workshop is closed for 2 weeks - a holiday I guess. I am starting to wonder if when I put the CV adaptors on the seal didn't sit properly around it. Tomorrow I'll take it off and peer inside......

So I pulled out the oil seal and it is worn out - the cross hatch / criss cross pattern thet you get on the lips of the new seals is worn away at an angle and the rubber has hardened. Put a new seal on and all is well. It must have been overlooked when the box was overhauled.

Back