GT40s at Le MANS Classic Japan

Hello,

I just read a classic cars magazine announcing this event.

Do any GT40 go there ? it should be a very nice place to be with fabulous race cars from Japanese collections.

Walter

It surely

I live in Japan and know the Mine circuit. I have decided not to run my GT40 in this race for a varity of reasons, but primarily because the Mine circuit is very narrow and i do not belive that it will be suitable to wide cars running flat out, more to the point, I do not think that a GT40 will get out of second or third gear on this circuit because it has very short straights. Frankly I am amazed they are using this track as opposed to Fuji, Suzuka, or Motegi, all of which are first class and very suitable to this event.

There was no way I was going to risk my GT40 on that track, I did consider entering my GT350R as I was not worried about the cost to repair damage caused from the inevitable door to door racing that will be necessary due to the width of the track and short length of the straights.

I guess we will see who is right, and for that reason, I decided to let somebody else take the risk and if I am right then I have saved myself a lot of money, on the other hand if I am wrong then I will have simply missed a good opportunity to run the car prior to next years Le Mans.

I absolutely agree that it will be great to see a lot of the Japanese collection cars on display, and no matter what happens on the track, it will be very rewarding to watch and catch up with people. I have not seen the entry list, are many overseas enterants coming?

Hey Gary!!!

Great to see you back. I heard about the trip back from Calif. and the extended stay in NYC. I'm glad everything worked out.

Will you be racing anytime soon?

I'm running the GT40 & GT350 at the HSR Sebring and Daytona events. I don't think anyone else from Cobra Automotive is going down.

I've done a few events with the 40 since we met in CA. I ran the Monterey Pre-Historics, and the Historics. Car performed very well there.

I did the Rolex historics at Limerock. The car was on top of it's game there as well. However I broke the ring and pinion in the warm up just before the main race....Shit happens!

I'm rebuilding the ZF now and putting a 3:40 rear set in for Sebring & Daytona. I've also put in set of new titanium valves. Kurt and the boys said two of my old ones were streching, and didn't want to chance breaking while we were down south.

Anyhow, I hope all is well, and hope to see you on back on the track soon.

John Brice

Pic from Monterey

Attachments

• 65849-mh0504b043as.jpg
    65849-mh0504b043as.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 349
Back