Type-O trans-axle

Great site, still a little slow navigating through though.
I have {2} 5DS-25-0 ZF trans-axles for sale. 1 has ser.#240
and has a 4:22-1 final. The other has a ser. #15 stamped on
the case and has a 3:44-1 final. Both are 4 bolt cases and
have the exposed shifters. No bell-housings. I can e-mail
pictures. Asking $10,000 for either unit. Also have extra
2nd.& 3ed. gears, different ratios.
Thanks, George.

Because the -0 was used one the original GT40's. The 3.44 final drive is extremely rare. And the -0 boxes are nearly unobtainable. Anyone with a real Mark I should be snapping these up for spares.
I have no interest in these, just commenting on their rarity.

Oliver

I would not like to get into a pissing contest with you about this. This part is not really meant for a replica unless authenticity was your ultimate goal. The -0 boxes had some design issues anyway so it is not a good choice for a car that will be driven regularly like ours.

Why don't we also debate why someone would pay thousands of dollars for a baseball Sammy Sosa hit out of the park rather than the cheaper one of the same manufacturer from the Sports Depot. Rarity.....

Andy is right about this. For someone who has an original this is a fair price. I have one of these boxes in my Lola.
Real Spare original spec. parts are going away and when they're gone they're gone forever. One other point if the FIA gets sticky even replicas that want Replica/FIA papers will need original spec parts including proper final drive ratio. On the street the - 0 box is the one you want as it gives very nice high speed crusing and more that enough 0-60 grunt.

John B

Temp Selling Pass
Yes,Yes,Yes...!

This tranny is hard to find! But!... After paying 10 grand..you can be sure to put another 3 to 5 grand rebuilding it...If its is rebuildable. These O transaxles were raced and beat to sh$#@%T. But I guess if you have a real 40, you can afford the 15,000 in chump change. So go ahead ...buy away!

Sorry to hit a hot spot with you Oliver, but I think it would be hard to knock an item without
asking about it. I didn't hear from you asking for extra info. or pictures. What makes you think
they would need extra work?

John B

Temp Selling Pass
ALL! Used ZF's need work. If yours is a orignal item, it will definatly need attention! No sore spot..just facts.

regards oliver

Oliver, George is right. For all you know these boxes may have already been rebuilt and so may need zero work except bell-housings fitting.
Since you haven't asked you wouldn't know that...

Therefore your 'fact' is based on insufficient information.

Any second hand item would ideally need inspection (unless it has supported evidence of a recent inspection/rebuild), but not necessarily rebuilding, which seems to be what you are implying.

If your not actually interested in the item except to say how bad value it is, why not leave the post alone to allow others who are interested to ask questions.

Is the -0 variant a GT40 only piece?
If so, I would think that would make it worth
substantially more than any "typical" ZF,
considering the value of original cars.

I have seen some pretty unbelievable prices paid
for new original muscle car parts by those that
have to have correct parts. Thousands (not hundreds)
of dollars for hoses, belts, batteries, spark plugs, etc
that the "average" person would think insane.
Yet it happens every day so long as the supply dwindles
and the car values continue to climb.
Welcome to the free market...

MikeD

Thank you for all of your comments.I think you all know the the type-0 is the unit that replaced the Colotti 4 sp.
I thought this group was for the original 40's. I'll list them in another area.
As for them being useable as is, I'll just say that I have 4 ZF's 2 type-0 & 2 type-2's 1 is in a car now. I also have the factory tools to bench them, so with a good deposit we'll see how good they are. Thanks. georged.

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
Hi George, actually there are some owners of original or original type cars hanging out here. I paid 7500 for a -2 box and put a few K more into converting it for my Safir GT40 so I don't think your price was all that high. We have a (fortunately) smll number of "talk first, think later" types around here. Sorry.

Thanks Jim, I hear what your saying. Shame we didn't connect sooner, might have saved you some K'sss
Good speed with your project.
George.

John B

Temp Selling Pass
Forgot about this thread..Ohh gee! It does need work..Well all you buggers who scorned me were wrong after all. thats ok.....I will forgive you...:)

Oliver

Back