G50 Gearbox cable linkage

I need some info regarding cable gear linkage for a G50 box going into the GTD.
I want to fit cables as an alternative to the rod linkage type I have fitted in my Ultima as space is limited. Has anyone done this before or know who has ?

Thank you

Hi Keith - I'm not much help at this point but within the next month or two, MDA will be fabricating the G50 cable setup for my MKI so if this isn't an urgent matter, I will post pics when the setup is completed.

Chris

Thanks for the pic's I'm heading in the right direction now I think !
regards keith

Lynn Larsen

Lynn Larsen
Keith,

If you'd like I can provide a fair amount of detail on how my cable shift is set up on a standard G50 tail shift. It uses a Toyota shifter and Morse stainless cables. The shifter's fore and aft motion is a direct transfer between the cable and the external shift rod and the torque of the shift rod is done through a bell crank affair.

I am sure that any number of cable shift shifters could be used. For instance, while I was putting a new boot on my Stealth (Mitsubshi 3000gt), it was apparent that it did the same thing as the Toyota: provides direct fore and aft motion from the shifter bottom and translates side to side shifter motion to fore and aft motion that can be delivered via the cable. One only need to verify that the direct fore and aft motion is adequate to move the Porsche shift rod through its full range of motion and provide the proper bell crank ratio to turn the shift rod through it full range of twisting motion (this includes that little extra for reverse that threw me on initial set up when I didn't recognize that there was a bit more clockwise motion than I had accounted for.)

Regards,
Lynn

Chris Duncan

Supporter
Lynn

""If you'd like I can provide a fair amount of detail on how my cable shift is set up on a standard G50 tail shift. It uses a Toyota shifter and Morse stainless cables.""

Please detail what year and model of Toyota shifter that is, and where you sourced the Morse cables.

thanks
Kalun

Peter Delaney

GT40s Supporter
Keith, you might want to have a look at some of the pics in Pete's DRB (GT40 Australia #48) build story - he has 3 very good pics of the DRB setup. Its a rod link for rotation & a cable for push/pull - its well sorted out after so many cars & works very well.

Kind Regards,

Peter D.

Lynn Larsen

Lynn Larsen
Kalun,

First, I apologize that I didn't respond, I can only guess I didn't get back to the thread and assumed (unfortunately, I know what assuming does) Keith would PM me if he needed more info.

The shifter was described as coming from a Tercel or a Corolla (any year after they went to cable shift which I am not sure of) and I have no doubt that, as Dimi has said, they were used in other vehicles as well.

As to the cables, the best price I found was at Ship's Store.com. This was several years ago, but here is the info from the shipping email I received from them for SS cable w/ ¼"-28 NF thread ends:

43C CONTROL CABLE 7' (MOR 6588500307)

Price ...........: $54.08
Quantity ........: 2
Extended Price ..: $108.16

Last edited:
I have the Corolla cable shifter in my DRB GT40 and all seems to work OK.

Attachments

• 000_0991.JPG
    000_0991.JPG
    39.6 KB · Views: 437
Back