Converting a 40 from RHD to LHD, pricing and parts!

Hi,
I am new to this forum and this is just my second posting.
Still a non owner checking out what cars are available.
Have looked for any previous threads on this topic but couldn't find anything.
So, I wonder how much it will cost me to let an experienced GT40 shop, either in the US or UK, convert a car from RHD to LHD?
That means to LHD steering and RHS (shifter in the middle).
Let's say the car is a GTD. What parts needs to be replaced?
What about the other manufacturers like RF, CAV etc?
I do believe someone on the forum has done this before!
Can the old parts be taken in part exhange for the new ones?
Looking forward to any inputs on this topic.

I don't think you can do that in a cost effective manner. It's my understanding that the tunnel is offset to accomodate the RHD/RHS. But, I may be wrong.

Cheers
Bill D

Howard Jones

Supporter
Converting a GTD isn't so much about a parts list as it is fabrication. I think you should have a very good look at both types, make some measurments, take some pictures and then decide.

You will need a new dashboard; pedal box and steering rack. Plus you will have to fabricate a new column mount and standoff on the left. You will have to fabricate a new mounting to accomadate the new Lotus style center shifter and the relocated emergecy brake handle - plus you will have to buy the Lotus front shifter plate and the rear mounted translator and fabricate the mounting. Remount the brake servos and pedal box, then replumb the brake and clutch lines to accomadate the new position.Re-route the shifter cables (possibly use shorter ones) for the center shift set up. The windshield wiper arm, motor and washer need to be moved to a position equal to right hand drive placement only on the left side. The speedometer cable will require re-routing and probably needs to be shortened. The dash wiring may reqiure some extensions to reach the re-routed gauges. The water pipes will have to be moved to the new passenger side to give foot room on the new driverside. A new cover for the water piping in the footwell needs to be made. I may have missed something but I believe this will give you a good idea of what it takes to change over a GTD.

Bud is about right, no matter your choice of 40. There are small differences between makes. If you choose a GT40 Australia for instance, your only difference is the cooling pipies go down the center console and won't need moving. All the rest is about the same. Some have rod linkage as opposed to cable shift etc. I think that unless you are doing the work yourself, you are going to spend close to what one ordered new will run. Labor charges will run it up real quick. My fabricator, who is only doing the welding(stainless) is charging $40/hr. I'm doing all the cutting and bending and all the mild steel stuff. Remember, it will take a lot of dissasembly and reassembly along with a lot of hard to get to spaces.

Bill

Reccomend you just buy a rhd gt40 say a gtd40 out of uk. This is based on experience of people converting XKEs to rhd for use in england etc.

Hi,
Thanks to all and everyone for their inputs on this topic. I am now quite convinced that a conversion is not worth the cost and I better look only for a LHD pre owned. I thought maybe some of the UK RHD cars were a bit cheaper but I understand the amount of work needed will be to much.
Again, thanks.

Check out Andy's car. It has many of the things done that make a GTD a better and improved car. $60,000 is good value if the car checks out as presenteand it is ready to roll!!

Back