Porsche Starter

Hey guys - I removed the starter yesterday only to find that one of the mounting lugs was cracked in half. The hardware was the only thing holding it in place. Great. So my question is - I'm not throwing huge compression into the engine rebuild and was wondering if anyone using the G50 setup has any recommendations to whether it's worth buying a new stock Porsche unit ($$$) or go another route?

A word form the wiser (not the Bud type) - make sure if you have a Porsche G50 sent long distance, you specifically ask for it to be in a secure shipping container of some sort. My busted starter and bent to s%$@! brackets were from the unit being placed in a cardboard box (yes) free to roll around every FedEx truck and depot like a football. There appears to be no damage to the unit itself but please, for the love of god - ASK FOR A CRATE - I assumed it would be a no-brainer for $4000 worth of gearbox or anything for that matter. Be very careful when they say they will throw in the cost of shipping - nothing is free.

Yes, I am guilty of not using the search button. Rant off.

Chris

Chris,

Rant, rant , rant! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Seriously, did one of the ears break off of the starter flange, or what?

Is this a stock starter?

Kennedy Engineered Products should have a gear reduction replacement for less than the cost of a new stock one.

Got a photo?

Bill

Back