Looking to build cratchbuilt body etc

hi,
I am from australia, and have been a big fan of the gt40 since i first learned of it, being a ford fan naturualy this would be a nice little car to have the garage.
I had planed on building a car from scratch mainly the body and was told that a lambo was my best bet as there was info and measurments for making the plug etc on the net.
I recently stumbled accross this forum again and found that there seemed to be some interest in this, after searching though i found very little.
I no this is the newbie & i may repost in another forum but can anyone provide the information i need.
I am after as much info on the body as possible or atleast enough to make a plug similar enough, it does not need to be exact, i am also after anything on chassis along the lines of space frame design if this is possible.
feel free to pm me or email anytime.
thanks for the help guys.
jonesy

Most companies will sell you a body to save you messing about with fibreglass - this all depends on whether you have more time than money or more money than time - also whether you will enjoy making something.
I wouldn't be prepared to make up molds e.t.c. just to make one set of body panels. The chassis is a bit easier but no picnic to fabricate. It's worth factoring your time to make a chassis/body compared to the development that has gtone into an already available unit from one of the manufacturers.
I've nearly finished my car and bought the majority of the parts from reputable companies and in hindsight would change a few things here and there - stuff that you can't plan for untill you finally can drive it. Personally I would buy a chassis / body package unless you fancy a serious amount of work. One thing to consider is I have spent a good 3-4 days a week building my "Kit" for the last year and a half and I'm nearly done - hope this helps.

just a note i left out...i am aware of the amount of work involved thats why i was looking for cobra specs as a practise build befor undertaking a gt40 as the cobra is much less detailed. i have worked on kit cars befor but found them only apealing as far as looks i got very little from the build as most items were manufactuered by someone else and i was only assembling. Thats why i would love to attempt building a body from scratch.
thanks
Is there any links or specs flating around for the body thanks.

No such thing as body drawings (capable of making molds).
If you really want to make your own body you will need
to borrow or buy a body from which to make your molds.
Good luck borrowing a body...if you really want a GT40
best idea is to buy one (unless you plan to go into
production).

Pretty much the same story on the frame.
No plans available...you either copy someone else's
work...or simply buy one and be an "assembler".
If you really want to be a designer and not "just"
an assembler...perhaps the GT40 is not a good choice.

MikeD

Back