First gear swap on a 01E

Has anyone tried swaping first gears on the 01E. I noticed in the specs that there are some 01E that come with a 3.50 first. It would be nice to use that in place of the 3.88 giving a very linear drop across all gear shifts.

What are the thoughts of those that have been inside of these transaxles?

Dave,

Since no one has yet replied, I'll give it my "stricktly by the book" version. The 01E first grear is intergral to the input shaft, which would necessitate replacing it in it's intirety. The matching gear on the counter shaft would also need to be replaced. I would speculate that this would be a somewhat costly conversion(?). I would think you'd be able to locate a complete O1E with more desireable ratio's, being that you are in the UK.

In case you're feeling very energetic, you might try to chase-down some Euro Audi racing shops or even Audi Sport directly. I recall at one time they were looking to offer a 2.7 first input shaft and gear, which was even cataloged at one time. If perhaps you could locate one of these, then the swap would be very worth while, I would think.

Andy

I too did some diggin and could not find audi sport. I did find a audi sport web site which is simular to this site.
I am planning on running the EKN 01E which has a 3.75 final ratio, but the first gear is two high at 3.88. a swap to 3.5 would be good and provides near equal spread through the gears. 2.70 may be too low. I will runn the calcualtions to see.

If someone has knowledge or access to audi sport and can find a part number for the 2.7 first I would apreciate it.

I will look up the 3.5 first gear parts to see what is interchangeable.

D

My information is at least 3 years old, so perhaps the site(s) has changed some. In the US, Eurospec did list a 2.7 1st gearbox, but verified that it was not (no longer?) available. The Audisport WEB site forums you mention could be a good resource; it is also a UK site. Race shops may be helpful, as I think the 2.7 was intended for rally use.

Dave, do you have a source for gearbox parts in the UK? New or used?

Cheers,
Andy

Andy,

www.vagparts.com is a good starting point. There are a number of dismantlers in the UK as well. But very few carry or have access to the 2wd 01E's I can of course order new from Audi about £2700 plus vat.

I looked at the Eurospec site but I cannot tell if they are doing anything different. The ratios they are offering are the same as some of the stock ones although the 4.11 final ratio. This is two low (high numerically) a ratio for what I want to acomplish with my setup.

I will give them a call to discuss the swapping of first gears though.

Back