Steel or aluminum roof??

Fran Hall RCR

GT40s Sponsor
RCR is working on a steel and also an aluminum roof section , I am persuing both avenues at the moment and will decide once I have worked through the pro's and con's of each, ..aluminum is winning at present due to the compatibility of the chassis and the ability of making the mono/roof section completely cohesive and truly a complete monocoque....

Which material would you gents like to see ...???

look for it as a possible option in early 2006....

From my experience in the marine industry I personally would prefer to see aluminum as the juncture between steel and aluminum plus moisture over time has great potential to cause some serious corosion issues. Not that my opinion should have much weight since I haven't purchased a RCR 40. Neither option would make me exclude this car from consideration but I would be more comforatable with like metal

Chris Kouba

Supporter
Strictly for compatability, I'd go with alu. Same concerns as TimB as well. Makes a clean chassis when done.

Anyone likely concerned about a truly "authentic" replica would most likely be pursuing a different vendor.

Chris

PS - Taken any more pics for the build thread lately?

Fran,
I like your work to date, looks clean and evolving........Can you elaborate on your driver to move towards this mod. Is it authenticity? Do you expect improved rigidity and frame strength in comparison to the current offerings?

In general for your Chassis, from a body strength and rigidy stance, did you benchmark on current monos being produced to measure material thickness required. Understand that this is only part of the equation as the design dictates a lot. As a consequence what sort of weight savings do you expect over the competition?

Cheers
Steve

Fran, The only downsides I see is electrolysis between the aluminum and steel and weight which is probably negligible. The steel is only going to be as strong as the metal supporting it. Hell I'd go with the aluminum.

The advantages of metal are:
1. authenticity
2. closer control of door fit
3. improved strength...particularly in support of the
windscreen.

So long as the ally is thick enough...that's my suggestion.

MikeD

I cast my vote for aluminum. Are there plans to retrofit early cars, say mine, Rons, Sandys, et al? I would love to change out the fiberglass spider for an aluminum one.

How would the spider be attached?

Any idea of the cost of the part?

Cheers
Bill D

Fran Hall RCR

GT40s Sponsor
Guys..
the aluminum roof is the way that I have been steering my ship and it seems you all agree.
The skin is 063 aluminum and is being hand formed....once we have proven that we can repeat the fit and finish we demand we will be able to offer the option.
We will be welding the roof section to the chassis for improved strength...originality is not really the issue as the original cars are steel as we all know.

I see no reason the roof could not be retro fitted but we will cross that bridge when we get there.

Pricing is still being determined but I expect it will run in the $2500-3000 range...

Hope this answers a few of your questions..

Fran Hall RCR

GT40s Sponsor
Paul,

I know for a fact that I will be doing at least one Mk4 with an aluminium roof section.
The RCR70 will not have an aluminum roof unless someone commissions it specially.....originals were never metal always fibreglass.

[ QUOTE ]
Guys..
the aluminum roof is the way that I have been steering my ship and it seems you all agree.
The skin is 063 aluminum and is being hand formed....once we have proven that we can repeat the fit and finish we demand we will be able to offer the option.
We will be welding the roof section to the chassis for improved strength...originality is not really the issue as the original cars are steel as we all know.

I see no reason the roof could not be retro fitted but we will cross that bridge when we get there.

Pricing is still being determined but I expect it will run in the $2500-3000 range...

Hope this answers a few of your questions..

[/ QUOTE ]

The ones on the MK-IV weren't.

Gregg

Gregg
Lifetime Supporter
Jim, I don't understand the first sentence of your reply. What does "Yellow fire dots alum. Red Fiberglass" mean? Where the cars marked with different color dots to denote what materials the bodies were made from? Thanks Gregg

At Le Mans to let the marshalls know what the car is made of so they can use the right fire extinguishers. Small red and yellow circles painted on the fenders and center sections.

Now here's a bit of trivia. Why are the fire dots on J6's roof orange?

Attachments

• 67545-GT40FFQC.jpg
    67545-GT40FFQC.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 727
Did someone try to remove the red dots with pain thinner...
changing the shade to orange?

And I'm surprised no one "attacked" Fran for not mentioning
the Alan Mann ally bodied cars... asleep at the wheel?

MikeD

Back