Hi

Introducing myself to the group. Live and work in Mississippi USA. Have always been a car nut for Lotus and the GT40. Why Lotus? I grew up during the time of Andretti and his F1 career with Colin Chapman. The GT40? The car and its history speak for itself. What a wonderful machine.

I'm just finishing a ground up restoration of a 1983 Lotus Esprit Turbo. Almost 3 years into it now. Me and my weekend warrior friends have done 99% of the work. It good to get another Esprit back on the road.

Now to the next project. A GT40. Would love to build a kit from one of the replicar manufactures. Growing tired of fixing previous owners damage and mistakes so constructing a NEW GT40 would be wonderful.

I noticed in the 'Cars For Sale' section a kit well into construction. Several members say it is the car of Luis Lopez. Is this car worth looking into? Or would I be getting into another 3 year build of a car like the Esprit? Comments would be deeply appreciated.

Again hello and many thanks!
louis

Hi Louis

Luis' car (Sabre) is a great value at $ 25k.
If you are interested in doing a GT40 replica you can't beat that as a starting point. How much time you'll need
to finish it depends on how much time you put in.

We've seen several cars done in less than (1) year when the
owner invests lot's of time. But it can take MANY years
if you just put in a few hours once in a while.
Good luck !

MikeD

Thanks Mike

I'm still looking into that car. Does anyone have anymore info. Suspension,etc.

Noticed you are getting a RCR. I talked with Fran yesterday about his cars. He had some good things to say and I appreciated his time. I look forward to hearing your driving impressions and comments on the overall quality of a RCR.

Thanks!
louis

Luis..welcome.
Mike has the only tube frame T70 Mk3b (prior to the mono chassis's release)built to Mikes spec ...Corvette front suspension and brakes etc etc etc

Mike is a good guy and will give you very direct answers to your questions.

Louis

If you are seriously interested, you should pop over to Luis
and view his car in person (assuming it survives Wilma).
You will not find a better value GT40 project in the US.

Fran's replicas are way cool....I can't wait to finish
my Lola, but I have a couple other projects to wrap up first, and I suspect others will finish their RCR before I will. As Fran points out, his current chassis is now a monocoque, which is a very impressive piece of work.
Good luck.

MikeD

Thanks Mike and Ron

I have no doubts I could finish what Luis started. I sent Luis a message but as Mike said 'Wilma' is the priority at the moment for the folks in southern Florida. I wish them well. Katrina in southern MS was and still is bad enough. Our team from Mississippi State Universty did remote sensing and GIS on the Gulf Coast for a month. Saw some amazing heros and true Americans. Unfortunately, you will never here about them. Courage and kind hearts don't make news.

Luis' car is a great deal from what I've learned in my few weeks of researching the GT40 replicas. But there is that nagging feeling that says, "Wait just a little longer, let's see a completed RCR". I like the engineering behind the RCR and availability of parts but Luis' car is there now and ready to finish. I could finish Luis' car then sell it and buy a RCR. Back and forth. Back and forth.

I'm sitting on the fence not sure which side to take. I hope Luis and his family and friends made it ok and he got my message to discuss his car.

We'll see what happens.

Other opinions are strongly encouarged.

Many thanks!
louis

Can some of the Sabre owners give me more info on the body? How rigid is it? How many layers of fiberglass, etc?

Is there any info on the Sabre kit? What comes with the package?

Thanks for your time and help,
louis

Thanks Mike

I emailed Lynn last week...I think, regarding Luis' car. Haven't heard back from Lynn. I may not have sent the email correctly? I haven't heard back from Luis or Lynn so maybe I typed the address wrong. I will send the emails again.

Lynn if you're out there give me a shout.

Thanks!
louis

Re: Cad Drawings of chassis

Hi Guys, any idea where i could get a copy of autocad chassis drawings?
Thanks
Brian

Back