fuel tanks revisited

About 12 months ago I posted enquiries on fuel tank bladders in Aust.

I have since made my tanks & have been in contact with a company by the name of Rino linings.
They have a product that they spray into the tank & it gells within about 30 sec or so & gives a flexable lining.

It is fully compatible with fuel & is sold as a secondary containment( if the main tank brakes it will contain the fuel).
Apparantly it is flexable to 4 times its size.
You can specify the thickness you wish.

The tank requiers 200 by 400mm hatch for access for the spraying prosses.
The cost is small.

Question . Has anyone used this product.

Jim C

Howard Jones

Supporter
I have been researching bed liners for my new pickup. Thats what this stuff if mainly used for. There are others such as Linex. Do a search for pickup truck bed liners.

I would go over to the place that is going to do it and have them spray a small piece of alum. say 4" X4" and drop it into a gallon paint can full of gas and seal it up. Then let it set out on the side of the house for a month or two before you have a look.

You could give the maker of this stuff a call on their tech line and see what they say.

Once this stuff in in your tanks its not comming out, not to mention the rest of your fuel system if it soffens up a year from now.

[ QUOTE ]
I have been researching bed liners for my new pickup. Thats what this stuff if mainly used for. There are others such as Linex. Do a search for pickup truck bed liners.

[/ QUOTE ]
For my pickup truck bed, I ended up going with Rhino instead of Linex. There is a Linex dealer near my house that had sample pickup truck bed in front of the building. I noticed that one corner of the lining was pealing off the bed. This and some web searching persuaded me to go with Rhino. Nearly a year later and the Rhino lining in my truck still looks good.

I definitely recommend some sort of spray-on lining for a pickup truck bed. The first thing I did with my truck was help a friend move a couple of carpets from her old apartment to her new apartment. Just doing that scratched the paint in the bed. A week later, trying to shovel out snow while standing in bed of the truck, my shoes couldn't get any traction on the wet paint.

Now that I have the lining in the bed, I had no problems transporting a couple of engine blocks, gearbox, and other random parts in the back of my truck for my father, or appliances for friends (that's about the only problem with having a liner in your truck for hauling stuff, friends will ask you for favors /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif).

[ QUOTE ]
I would go over to the place that is going to do it and have them spray a small piece of alum. say 4" X4" and drop it into a gallon paint can full of gas and seal it up. Then let it set out on the side of the house for a month or two before you have a look.

[/ QUOTE ]
Googling for info about Rhino Linings in gas tanks, it looks like they have a couple of different formulations. So you'd probably want to make sure that you test the one meant for gas tanks.

You can find a list of the different linings at: http://www.nymidstate.com/rhino.htm

Howard Jones

Supporter
Ben I read most of that and I didn't see any reference to gasoline. The other thing is a fuel cell has a lot of resistance to puncture. After all they were designed to withstand VC heavy machine guns. This stuff if very good with abrasion and thats wny it works so well in the bed of a garbage truck. Big difference. I can't see the Rino stuff holding up to a guardrail post punching a hole thur the alum tank wall. It might hold up to a inpact deformed tank or a split weld but I don't really think replaceing a fuelcell is its intended aplication.

Back