door fitment

I am going to fit the doors on my TS-40 has anyone ( i now there are few) had problems in installing the doors, such as warping of doors or the spyder not set properly? As far as cutting the edges and the basic fiberglass work involved ,installing the hinges I don't see much of a problem. Am I wrong? Any help from the Vast knowledge of the forum members will greatly be welcome. The best to all, Kevin

Maybee my search didnt find other biulders with a problem with this? Not that my car does ,just looking for some thoughts on the install, Kevin

Neal

Lifetime Supporter
I've discussed this issue with a number of builders and have found some consistencies.

1) Temporarily fit your windshield.
2) It may be necessary to shim the spider to achieve alignment at the roof sections.
3) Pick a standard with for your gaps and work towards that. I used a paint stir stick. Even gaps create a better looking fit. Width isn't as critical.
4) Watch the front clip to door edge clearance. Stating the obvious, be sure the front clip is in place.
5) Wear a dust mask when sanding!
6) Be sure your lower valances (tank covers) are properly mounted and positioned fore to aft before you start.
7) Be patient! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I'm interested to hear about what areas you need to correct. I've found the drivers side leading edge of the door relative to the spider is high and the lower door gaps go from narrow to wide, front to rear.

Another tip is to buy two sets of door seal rubbers

The first for the fitment and eligning of doors, the second for after the car has been painted.

That way you end up with a good looking set of seals on your finished car.

Bud

Great ,thanks to all on the post> You all helped me to go on the way to finish my GT, Kevin

Fran Hall RCR

GT40s Sponsor
A couple of pics of the fit of the RCR40 doors

Attachments

• 67769-shop10_27_05010(Small).jpg
    67769-shop10_27_05010(Small).jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 383
Fran, super nice fit on the doors ,thanks for posting the pics. I will strive to get mine to fit as good as that, it makes me more convinced to purchase the Gulf flares for my GT . Soon. Kevin

Neal ,I will post pics as soon as I am in the process . Thanks for the well thought out post you provided! The best, Kevin

i left my gtd for paint yesterday and i have worked my a-- of trying to get a nice shut line . when i was happy i ended up with more gap than i realy wanted but if i look at most gts thers a big diff in just that point. but in the end moore is better than less,

Back