Allow me to come over??

Great Sight!!!
I am thinking of straying from the Porsche 911 scene and may need help ...I think I need to be more different . I have a challenging situation...air cool to drool.....Always loved the Gt40! Is this where I get a prescription? Please put up with me ,,it might be as a slippery slope as the 911??
There will probably be gangs some where trying to rescue me from this place....I think I hear them calling already!!
Thanks

Hi there. A kindred spirit by the looks of it. I also have a 911, an 88 Carrera which is currently my daily driver. I hope it stays that way too. I am as yet without a GT40, but I will get there in the end.

Welcome aboard.

Doc Watson

Lifetime Supporter
It dosent get much better than this.............. does it?

Attachments

• 67529-gt40_2.jpg
    67529-gt40_2.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 315
Ok this forum goes in so many directions...and the top of the list is -don't ask a old question or get burned dwn......but I am totally lost,,is there a place here that will sort of line up do and donts?? like this is the best shell and this is the worse??
And to top it off it seems like to me the trans axle is the whole achilles heel to the build!! no way will I come up with ten grand just for a trany,,,and being a Porsche freak the 915 is total gunk for the kind of brute pwr that a v8 will deliver.....are there any ez ans here??

Speaking as a complete novice here, I agree that the trans is the area of biggest mystery unless you payout big bucks. It strikes me that an audi trans is a sensible option, as they are really cheap from breakers and available in huge quantities. Therefore if you do break one, it won't be difficult to find a replacement in a hurry.

I don't think the Porsche 915 is gunk exactly, although I have a G50, I have driven many 911's with the older box. The Porsche community doesn't seem to consider these boxes upto the job of serious BHP, but I guess it would cope with 300ish OK, but it is an expensive choice if it all goes crunch in there. You would need to beef up the standard Porsche clutch aswell. Burnouts and drag starts are not what these boxes were designed to endure.

I think there are too many variants on car, component and intended use, for a comprehensive list of the right way vs the wrong way etc? Don't forget though that a standard 302 is only around 220 BHP, in which case the existing favoured tranny choices should all cope AOK.

And now the legal bit........

All of the above are simply the ramblings of a noobie and as such should not be relied upon in any way as being correct or in concert with the general opinion of the better informed members of this forum. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

As a 911 owner I can assure you the 915 will work only if you never dump the clutch (lol)
My 915 has problems just from very hard roll on s...about 200 hp to the r.w. It has complaints r/p area thats the big weak pt.
So thanks for letting me post.....who makes a good chassis? or prints??

We've seen G50 equipped GT40s take plenty of abuse....
particularly with street tires. Stickies would likely
be another matter. I have no first hand experience,
but I understand the 930 is even stronger than the G50.
I see no logical reason to use the 915...unless someone has
one laying around.

The Audi is fine if not abused...Hershal has 50,000 miles
on his RF40 Audi box.

MikeD

Well,,I am just a newbie,,and snoopin for info as to what everyone else is doing,,this time I want to look b4 I leap!!

Back