Fuel Supply Question

In the ongoing quest to rebuild my KVA replica I now have another problem to overcome and would like some advice if possible. My car has only one fuel filler cap and one fuel tank both on the passengers side. In an effort to give the car more range I would like to install another tank on the drivers side. However is there any way they could be linked and filled from the existing single cap. This would mean that I would not have to install an extra filler cap and mess around with the front section.

What is the best way to do this?. After looking at some of the original Le Mans GT40's I see that they have only one filler. The fuel tanks must be linked somehow!

Once again any help would be great.

Many thanks

Simon

Simon,
Actually it is pretty simple. The tanks are connected with a hose. If your filler were on the side of the tank not going to the fuel pump, you could install a one way valve toward the tank that does.If you do install a tank, be sure to vent it with a roll over valve. That will let air in and out of the tank but not allow fuel out if sloshed on acceleration or cornering or god forbid a roll over.

Bill

Thanks for the reply Bill,

I have ordered the new fuel tank and I think I have found a valve that can allow ventillation. The main point I have to get over is the initial way of getting the fuel into the tank from the single filler, (then back out!)where is best to run the pipe work. I will have a good look at the car this evening to see what may be the best route to run these extra pipes.

In the long run this must be the way to go as a single fuel tank on one side would not last long with a V8 slurping away. Has anyone else only got one fuel tank on the forum, or is my car unique!

Regards

Simon

[ QUOTE ]
Has anyone else only got one fuel tank on the forum, or is my car unique!

[/ QUOTE ]

Roy Smart has only one tank in his GTD if I remember correctly. The drivers side has been removed to facilitate an oil tank for his dry sump system.

Brett

Thanks for the link Murray, a very helpful site. They seem to have a lot of parts that will assist getting over this tank pipework issue.

Brett, any ideas how much range Roy gets out of his single fuel tank?. What has prompted me to install and additional one (apart from the fact the cars on bits!) is I know how much fuel my TVR Griff 500 uses. I am sure the 4.5 Chimera lump I am due to install will not be far behind when comes to fuel consumption. I also want to keep petrol station visits to a minimum, it look a bit ungainly seeing a 6ft 2' bloke trying to get out of a GT40!

Simon

Hi Brett / Simon

Correct - only one tank on Roy's Mk1, on the near-side. The other side mainly houses the brake servo's. The one tank is BIGGER than standard though, as the water pipes have been plumbed through a tunnel down the centre of the cabin and hence there was a 3-4" 'gap' left by their absence. This area was used to fit a custom wider tank than standard and I would guess it adds 3 or 4 gallons to the tank capacity.

Re mileage - hmmmm - depends on your engine and how much fun (read legal or illegal) you're having. With fuel injection we have acheived as much as possibly 18 to 20 miles per gallon on a light foot, /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif or as little as 2 or 3 miles per gallon when hard on it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Back