1:1 scale model production

Does anybody have any experience of producing 1:1 scale models, I have a 3D model I would like to make the model out of high density foam and then have it finished etc. I was interested in hearing other peoples experience of this so I can avoid any costly mistakes

Best Regards

John

Last year, someone provide a link in the off-topic forum to a guy who's build a scratch built car, the dp1, based on a motorcycle engine. His blog is interesting and he talks a bit about getting the body form made from 3D drawings using a giant 3D CNC machine.
http://dpcars.aprsworld.com/

(It's all hiding behind frames, so to see the discussion about getting the body build, go to page one of the current blog, and then click on "initial design stage" to see his earlier blog and read about the design and construction of the body form)

John

Are you looking for someone to make a foam copy from a 3D CAD drawing, or from a 1:1 physical model made out of some other material?

If the latter, I can't help you directly, but you should be able to find a local engineering shop with a 3D digitiser (either probe or laser (depending on the resolution you want)). Once plotted, your 1:1 (or smaller) model is imported to CAD for modification (or scaling) and then sent off to CNC for machining out of foam or something harder.

The great thing about this process is that if your original is symetrical about any axis, you only need to build half of it, and it can be any scale you want!

I hope this helps.

Hello Richard,

I currently have a model in 3D Studio Max that I would like to make 1:1 scale model from; I need to have the model machined from foam so it can then be used to make moulds. The 3D model I have should not need any modification as it has been produced to a very high quality but I will be increasing the frequency of surface polygons which would give the CNC machine a higher number of points to work from and this give a good end result. If you have any more info drop me an email at [email protected]

The guy who's building the DP1, said that the company he found to make the body form normally makes forms for fiberglass boats. So if you're thinking of constructing something on the size of a full size car, you probably can contact a local boat builder and see if they know who has the equipment.

If you're looking to make something that's small from a CAD file, take a look at "stereo lithography".

http://computer.howstuffworks.com/stereolith.htm

I've never tried using it, but the tecnology seems interesting (it's basically a 3D laser printer).

Hi John. I probably don't have anything else of use to you, as I've done everything the hard way - that is 2D CAD and manual pattern building! I would love to pick up SolidWorks or something, but A$8K is a large chunk of my budget for building the prototype car!

I use Turbocad v7.1, but haven't put in the time to learn to use it in 3D, given all I'll be farming out is suspension parts.

Ben, thanks for the link. I'd heard of stereo lithography, but never really understood how it works. I can think of a lot of uses if I can come up to speed with 3D CAD...

Back