AUDI 6 SPEED MOD FOR RH SHIFT

Dear All,

Thruxton Sports Cars (Dunsfold) is now offering a selector shaft and casings modification to the Audi box, to suit a right hand shift.

We have decided to remanufacture the selector shaft (in silver steel) which plainly avoids any welding of the shaft, obviating any possible weaknesses in that area. We will be offering this in two forms:

1. You send your complete box to us and we will do the work.

2. Send us your end case and we will modify this and supply a new modified selector shaft.

We should have prices in a few days, but in the meantime call Nigel Allen on 01483 274700 and he will be pleased to help.

See you!

Rick

Hi Brett - how are you?

At the moment we have tooled up for the 6 spd.

As you will be aware, the five speed is slightly different, but would be an easier conversion and so we would be happy to convert these also. Due to the differences in the selector shaft, the five speed will probably necessitate welding rather than a replacement shaft.

Rick

I collected my Audi 01E gearbox yesterday from Thruxton Sports Cars Dunsfold after Nigel had done the gear selector mod to facilitate a RH gear change. The quality of the work is first class and, dare I say it, a better way of doing it than the RF method.

Regards

Chris
RF kit#119 about to be shipped (hopefully!)

Alex Hirsbrunner

Lifetime Supporter
Hi Chris,

First off, congrats on the imminent shipment of your RF!

Can you describe the "RF method" and whether or not it results in preventing a subsequent upgrade to the Thruxton conversion?

Thanks & Best Regards,

Al H.

RF #129 on order along with an RF reman 01E

Hi Al

The difference between the two methods is that the Thruxton Sports Cars solution is to replace the existing selector shaft with a new one piece shaft machined for the job. The RF method is to weld an an extension to the existing Audi shaft. IMHO, from an engineering point of view it is better to have a one piece rod than one welded in the middle.

However, I would in no way suggest that the RF method doesn't work, as we know it has been tried and tested and works very well. Also, the shaft is in a low stress situation and so whether it is welded or one piece is immaterial - both solutions will be perfectly adequate for the job.

In engineering there are usually a number of ways of doing the same thing, all of which will do the job intended. IMHO I just think that the way my gearbox has been modified by Thruxton Sports Cars is the more elegant engineering solution!

Best regards

Chris
RF #119 - latest news, will be crated up for shipping next week.

Hi Mark,

I will post a confirmed price tomorrow (Thurs)

We will also have a price for the 5spd shortly

Rick

Hi,

I now have the price for the 6spd mod.

There are two options:

1. You can drop (or send) the gearbox to us at Dunsfold and we will carry out the mod for you. Cost for this is £185 + VAT

2. Send us your selector shaft casing and we will modify it for you and supply you with a new selector shaft for you to fit - £160 + VAT

Carriage will be extra (but at cost) for those who cannot drop off and pick up the items.

We will publish a 5 spd modification cost shortly - this is likely to be similar or possibly slightly cheaper

If you need more info, please ring me on 07771 844884 or Nigel on 01483 274700

Rick

Back