Parking brake-original 66 road car

I was helping my friend with his road car this last weekend and he asked me for some help with his parking brake as his had not come with it(lost in rebuild prior to his purchase ???). He had acquired all the bits and pieces(save the cable) but could find no one of the original ranks who knew how it went together(remember there were I believe only 38 of these cars made). After looking at it for about 5 minutes, I finally figured it out.Now all we have to do is make the cable and rod end to fit. I thought some of you who are after originality might be interested in its function. Here are two pics from the owners parts manual.

1729074WebPark2.jpg

1729067WebPark1.jpg

I found it interesting that it actually operated the brake pedal instead of a caliper. I am sure this would work on our cars as well. Especially you English guys that have the park brake requirement for SVA. I believe the pull handle can be sourced from old Fords from the 50's era. 54 stands out in my mind for U S cars. I am sure there is an equivalent in the U K.
The cable is 6mm. and can be gotten at any motorcycle shop. The swaged on rod end can be adapted or changed to what ever they have handy.The pull handle rides in a shaft with two H shaped pieces and a tiny spring holding them in place for the holding/locking mechanism. Didn't have my camera with me this time but will get some pics next trip over.

Bill

Back