Carbon Fibre Dashboards

As some members know I am constructing a GTD40 with a modified chassis from Roy Smart.Most of the panels that are usually aluminium will be made from Carbon Fibre, ranging from 1mm - 4mm in thickness. This carbon is as strong as concrete with the weight of a feather. The hardest to manufacture and most expensive panels are the curved areas that require pre made moulds.If the complete interior is to be carbon then the dash will need to be, so I have today given the go ahead for moulds to be produced for a fully carbon dash. The weight will be 1/3rd of a fibreglass equivalent and stronger, these are being made to a standard GTD style dash.
The mould manufacture cost is high but so will be the finish.I will forward pictures of the finished product at the end of January if all goes well. The dash is for me only but I may be able to produce these for other members who can keep them in carbon look or cover them if they just want the weight saving. No prices are yet avialable but all I want to do is try to get some of the investmant back. The racing seats company doing this work are friends of mine and they do carbon work for Caterham cars, Prodrive etc. so it's top dog. If anyone is interested let me know.
Below is early stage of interior panelling ( the easier bits )

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a262/bakergt40/gt023.jpg

Wow - Looking great Keith! and having seen the quality of your Ultima, your 40 will no doubt end up awesome too.

Trackday use? or might we coax you out onto the hills/sprints? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Back