Le Mans Classic

RichardH

AKA The Mad Hat Man
I am intending (or hoping) to go to the Classic next year. This will be my first time and would like to join a party to travel down there. If anyone knows of any space for 2-4 extra people in a gite – even better, as I do not know my way around yet.

Any help appreciated
Richard

Richard,
The GT40 Enthusiasts Club will be going. Follow the link on this website and then contcat Tony Hunt, our Membership Secretary. I'm sure he'd be more than willing to welcome you to the fold and provide a form.

Brett

RichardH

AKA The Mad Hat Man
I have! I forgot to mention that I am a member of the GT40 Enthusiasts club.
The reply was.....

"I am not putting up this type of personal stuff at the moment, its not appropriate, only general club related initiatives/drives. Maybe when we/I develop a personal webboard for this types of messages.
At present he is best using GT40s Forum as you suggest." - hence the message.

I have asked at the last meeting, but not much help was forthcoming - lots of "speak to someone else". In the nicest way, of course. I would dearly love to go, but as a newbie, feel that I need to have my hand held.

Please help

Richard /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

Fair point but what's this got to do with engines ? If you don't get a ride all you can do is go brrmmm brrrmmm brrrmm !

RichardH

AKA The Mad Hat Man
LOL
I know. I posted it in the wrong Forum. I have told the moderator, in case he wanted to move the thread.

I have the car (so no brmm brmmm)just not the savvy to get there and back on my own.

Attachments

• 69209-stuart%20021b.jpg
    69209-stuart%20021b.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 368

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Richard
I am heading to Le Mans again in 2006 and for last year’s was in the same position as you. New to the club new to Le Mans and seemingly new to all that goes with it.

I did the head banging bit and ended up deciding I would go and was extremely glad I did.

So now for some info

We have found the cheapest routes / ferries are about £100 for the return – Tunnel £150 and other ferries £200 up depending on the route.

As for accommodation this is where the problem lies and it all boils down to price – what you expect and are willing to pay.
I found 5* at about £200 per night in the center of Le Mans down to the camp site at the circuit at £85 for the 4 nights. – so what is the budget and what do you expect for it. (Remember the hotels will know about the event and charge a premium)

The thread from last year is http://www.gt40s.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/22268/an/0/page/4#22268
Probably reading this may help make things a bit more clear

I actually booked through [email protected]
They found me a Hotel for about £110 for the 4 nights (£27 / night) in a room that could sleep 3 – Tiny room, really tiny shower and yet booked out over the weekend.

At the event itself the club ticket will get you into the course on 3 days (Friday for practice, Saturday and Sunday) through the paddocks etc. and also for the fee get you on the track – a must if you have a car!

The GT40’s last year had a meeting area near Tetra Rouge and the cars were parked there and numerous stories swapped. Mike (brother in law) and I had gone in a Vectra and organised cold drinks, Tea and coffee and baguettes at lunch.

On the Thursday night a number of us met up at a restaurant about 15 km South of Le Mans and again a great evening was had.

I know a few of us are travelling down on the Thursday and returning Monday – we have booked a family run hotel at La Fleshe (sp) but I believe the rooms have all been taken.

Hope this helps - if not e mail me and I'll see if any more information can be given

Ian

RichardH

AKA The Mad Hat Man
Thanks Ian (and all the others that e-mailed me direct).

Am looking into Gites now - maybe a two week holiday! If I can get accomodation then travelling companions can wait a month or two (but offers welcome). Maybe a register of those going (and when) might be useful close to July? I think I will most likely trailer the beast, and use the Freelander as a support vehicle.

Once again - THANK YOU TO YOU ALL. Hope to see you there in the Ex Roy Snooks Essex Wire car.

Best regards
Richard

Richard
I would not worry about finding someone to travel down with, get your
accommodation sorted first, then as time progresses, peoples times and ferries will be
known and I am sure you will be most welcome to join us as we travel down.
As to trailing your car there, don't bother half the fun is driving there, and breaking
down on route, anyway Roy will be there and he's ace with spanners. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

RichardH

AKA The Mad Hat Man
LOL
Have you spoken to Roy then. I hope his car doesnt break down. One of the probs I have is the family wants to come - 4 or 5 in a GT40 aint too comfortable - so it means two cars. I thought Trailer and unhitch it as and when I fancy some fun. If anyone does break down - a trailer might be useful.

Roy - looks like you might be on call! What would we do without him?

Richard
Judging by my experience from last year's Classic, can I pre book the Trailer
Now /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

[ QUOTE ]
LOL
One of the probs I have is the family wants to come - 4 or 5 in a GT40 aint too comfortable - so it means two cars. I thought Trailer and unhitch it as and when I fancy some fun.

[/ QUOTE ]

Richard, why not dispense of the trailer and just use two cars anway... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Brett

Richard,
I'm sure you can find accommodation on the web, This is THE event to go to-don't miss out, as Ian says there are plenty of members attending so check out their ferry times, book up and tag along. Oh by the way Guys if any of you break down and it can't be fixed with my penknife-your on your own-no more annual services. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Frank
7 8 and 9 July 2006

Friday for scrutineering and practice in the evening and then racing Saturday and Sunday

Last year laps of the track were on Saturday morning if I remember correctly

Ian

Well, you can count me in
I hope that my car is finished by then
and otherwise i'm coming without.
F /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banana.gifrank

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Frank
I cannot remember if you are a member of the GT40 Enthusiasts Club or not - I have the members list at home.

If you are you should have received a flyer with the last magazine about tickets through the club and also potential to buy laps of the track.

If not it may be worthwhile joining

that said anyone else please remember that the booking forms need to be in to Roy Snook by Tuesday 01 December 2005 - you need to move QUICK!

Ian

Back