Track Country Clubs?

Malcolm

Supporter
Hi Ben

VIR has a track club with seemingly plenty of member only days. When we were waiting to practice and qualify in the evening there were cars lapping all the time having a good time. The VIR web site has more detail.

However what I think would be required is a club that has a good circuit as its home base and then a unilateral agreeemnt with other track clubs that allowed proper access to a variety of circuits so you are not stuck with the same course all the time.

VIR did allow visitors (we were down to drive had we not got a test day the day before) but they were stuck behind a pace car and at a slower speed. Members were given free rein.

Knowing the cars you like, they would enjoy VIR!

Ben,

I have driven the north course at AutobahnCC a few times and I must say it rocks! I have driven once on a club track day, usual stuff. Other times I was allowed on as a guest of a CC member. On one Wednesday I loaded up got to the track around 11:00am and was on the track with only 2-4 cars all day long!

The buy-in is $25K which you can re-sell for whatever the going rate is in the future, but only retain 30% of the proceeds. There is a $4000 yearly dues also. This buys you full access on member days (4-6 days a week) from 8:00 am til dark when they shut down for the day. This includes corner workers and a saftey crew.
I think it is the best idea for us guys not skilled enough to race competitively or drive our cars that don't fit a classification that is realistic. Driving schools can teach you the principles but nothing but seat time can make it stick.
I know what I am asking Santa for!

Ben:

I stopped by Auotbahn in October and was so impressed with it, despite some minor non-track related consturction still going on, we are moving our annual track day /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/driving.gif there for 2006. We are using the full 3.56 mile course which you can only rent on Mondays.

Details at:
http://www.LotusCarClub.org/trackday.htm

Place looks great and the staff has been very helpful. They even have a catering company to help handle lunch, dinner, etc.

I wish it were closer to St. louis (about 4 hours) or someone would start something similar near by.

Mark

Back