What sheet metal tools are needed?

I've just ordered an RF-40 in kit form and would like to know from other builders what tools I will need to acquire to work the sheet aluminum. I read thru the Performance Ford Magazine article (apparently from a couple of years ago, and referring to the Australia production kits) and it appears that I will need a sheet metal brake of some size to make the bends (I don't think that the edge of my bench and a hammer will satisfy me). Please suggest what size will do the job. I have hand shears that served me well on 6061T6 at .040 thickness in my F5R Cobra. Is there anything in the RF-40 that these will not handle? The magazine article states that the belly pan is much thicker than the rest of the sheet metal and needs a long flange folded along each side. If a small (30" or so) metal brake won't handle this, either due to length or thickness, can I get the factory to do it before shipping?
I know that I am far ahead of myself as far as receiving the kit, but Christmas is coming and it might be a good time to "request" such items.

John,
I used to have a list of the tools I bought when I started my build but I lost the list when this damn computer took a healthy dump. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif Anyway...I'll try and post what I believe you need. The metal break I bought came from Grizzly.com They have a 4ft break that is very nice for under $600. Also here is a good site with some quality metal working tools you may like see. Not that you need them but it's a good place to know about.
I bought a pair of Bosch metal shears, model 1500 for $250. This was the most helpful tool I had when it come to triming and cutting metal.
For cutting holes in the metal I bought a Greenlee hole punch set. The set new costs about $450 but I check around at a few Pawn shops and found my set for $48. You would be surprised as to how many tools there are for sale in pawn shops. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
You will need a whole bunch of Clecos and a pair of Cleco pliers. These are best bought here as they have the best price so far as I can tell. http://www.browntool.com/productselect.asp?productid=169

There are other tools you need but I'm sure you have a good drill and hammer. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
John, If I think of anything else I'll send you an e mail. If you need any more assistance please call me or send me an e mail. I'll try and help as much as I can.
I think the floor pans on the new S. African kits are installed but I will check with Robert to make sure before I say it is.

Hersh /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

John
Hershel is right-on about the brake and the shears. A cheapo brake won't make those nice tight radius bends you want on sheet metal, and the shears will make curved cuts which can become important. Also you might consider a cheap 12 or 14" band saw (woodworking). The blade speed is high on these but I use one regularly to cut sheet and plate with good accuracy...use a 10 tooth per inch blade. You might also try a circular saw with a cheap carbide blade..I use the $18-$20 ones and they give a lot of cuts for the price..Diablo is a good one. Try a little WD-40 on the blades or some parrafin to keep the chips clear. There is nothing like a good shear for straight cuts on sheet, but you will find with a little practice you can saw or cut pieces very accurately. Hope some of this helps
Phil

Hi John, about the brake, you will need a "pan or box" brake, because there are multiple bends on the same part in many places on these cars.They have adjustable and removable "fingers". You could get away with less than the 48 inch one I bought , but there is a few bends that require about the whole length. Good luck with your build, Dan

Thanks, guys. I'm doing some thinking and might just skip the whole problem by going for a Quick build. It's great that there is so much experience out there to answer questions.
Regards,
John

Robert Logan

Defunct Manufactuer - Old RF Company
John,

Welcome to the Roaring Forties family.

I highly recommend the "Quick Build" kit to all our customers. The shut lines are the most difficult part of the car as I have said time and again on this forum. Not just for our GT40 but this is for all GT40 replica's.

The interesting thing about the "Quick Build" is that was one of Hershal's brain waves. It was his idea to offer this level of kit and I think it was a great idea. Another thanks to Hersh.

Best wishes,

Robert

John,
The Quick Build kit is the best deal going. Especially now because you can have it factory painted for $3,000 USD with the standard colors offered. This type kit truly is a Quick to build because there is so much that's already done.
As Robert mentioned the shut lines are difficult but with this kit it's done. The panelling is complete which leaves you with the easy assembly stuff.

Hersh /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Thanks for the welcome Robert and Hersh. I sent the revised order (changing to a QB) back to Jerry today with a cashier's check. Looking forward to getting a chassis number.

Back