Safety wire

I was wondering which nuts/bolts need to be safety wired or will the nylocks do as well? I know that spinners need it in general, but could not think of many uses for the safety wires. Any comments would be welcome.

Bill

I guess in theory, you could lock wire just about every fastener as long as you have two or more parts to install the wire to. See below, taken from www.lrrsracing.com

Basic Rules For The Installation of Lock Wire

Lock wiring is the securing together of two or more parts with a wire which shall be installed in such a manner that any tendency for a part to loosen will be counteracted by an additional tightening of the wire.

For general purpose lock wiring, use the preferred sizes in Table 1-1. Use smaller diameter wire where parts are too small to permit a hole diameter to accommodate the preferred sizes, or where space limitations preclude the use of the preferred sizes. The larger sizes are used where stronger wire is required. Wire diameter of .032 is the most commonly used.

The common method of installing lock wire shall consist of two strands of wire twisted together (so called "Double Twist" method). (One twist is defined as being produced by twisting the wires through an arc of 180 degrees and is equivalent to half of a complete turn.) The single strand method of lock wiring may be used for some applications, such as in a closely spaced, closed geometrical pattern (triangle, square, rectangle, circle, etc.). parts in electrical system.

The maximum span of lock wire between points shall be six inches.

Where multiple groups are lock by either the double twist or the single strand method, the maximum number in a series shall be determined by the number of units that can be lock wired by a twenty-four inch length of wire.

Wire shall be pulled taut while being twisted. The number of twists per inch as recorded in Table 1-1, represents general practice and is given as guidance information only.

Caution must be exercised during the twisting operation to keep the wire tight without overstressing. Abrasions caused by commercially available wire twisting pliers shall be acceptable but nicks, kinks, and other damage to the wire are not.

Lock wire shall not be installed in such a manner as to cause the wire to be subjected to chafing, fatigue through vibration, or additional tension other than the tension imposed on the wire to prevent loosening. In the event that no wire hole is provided, wiring should be to a convenient neighboring part in a manner so as not to interfere with the function of the parts. Hose and electrical coupling nuts shall be wired in the same manner as tube coupling nuts.

Detail Instructions For The Installation Of Lock Wire

Check the units to be lock wired to make sure that they have been correctly torqued. Under-torquing or over-torquing to obtain proper alignment of the holes is not advisable. If it is impossible to obtain a proper alignment within the specified torque limits, back off the unit and try it again or select another unit.

In adjacent units, it is desirable that the holes be in approximately the same relationship to each other(for right-handed threads), thus the lock wire will have a tendency to pull the unit clockwise. This should be reversed for left-handed threads.

Where lock wire is used to secure a castellated nut on a threaded item, selection of locking hole diameter for the item shall be based on cotter pin requirements.

Lockwire and Lockwire Hold Data Table 1-1

Wire Diameter Twists per Inch Recommended Hole Diameter
0.02 09-12 0.037-0.057
0.025 9-12 0.060-0.080
0.032 7-10 0.060-0.080

Chris

Howard Jones

Supporter
Starter mounting bolts.
Caliper mounting bolts.
Rotor mounting bolts.

Anything on the suspension that does not have a Nylock instead.
Things that will fall off the car and hit the guy behind you on the track or fall off and leave you 50 miles from home.

I would also consider oil drain plugs. On my formula racers I also did the oil filter (spin off type). Used a suitably large worm drive clip tightened around the filter with a wire hole drilled in the end of the tongue of the clip to allow it to be wired. In my second ever race I was following a competitor into the high speed braking area for the chicane at Thruxton when he lost his filter and laid a slick on the racing line. I didn't spin (probably wasn't going fast enough!) but it caused some fun behind.

Back